[GP-Eldorado-n] Fw: Urge Congress to Support New Global Warming Bills

Diana Stauffer dianasum at directcon.net
Sun Jul 23 13:56:04 PDT 2006

Urge Congress to Support New Bills Aimed at Avoiding the Worst Effects of Global Warming
                              Urge Congress to Support New Bills Aimed at Avoiding the Worst Effects
                              of Global Warming

                              Dear Diana,

                              As you know, human activity is warming our atmosphere with devastating consequences. Scientists warn that to avoid the worst effects of global warming, we must prevent average global temperatures from rising more than 2° Celsius above pre-industrial levels. In June 2006, Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) introduced a bill (H.R. 5642) that would gradually reduce global warming emissions by 80 percent, the amount needed to have a good chance of staying below the threshold set by scientists. In July 2006, Senators Jim Jeffords (I-VT) and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) introduced a similar bill in the Senate. Please urge your congressional delegation to protect our planet for our children by co-sponsoring these critical science-based global warming bills.

                              Sincerely,

                              Kate Abend
                              National Field Organizer
                              Climate Program

                              Subject: Support Critical Science-Based Global Warming Bills

                              Dear Senators and Representative:

                              I am writing to urge you to co-sponsor the Waxman Safe Climate Act in the House or the Jeffords-Boxer Global Warming Pollution Reduction Act in the Senate.

                              Scientists warn that to avoid the worst effects of global warming, we must ensure that global average temperatures do not rise more than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels. To have a good chance of remaining below this threshold, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide equivalent must stabilize at 450 parts per million.

                              Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) and Senators Jim Jeffords (I-VT) and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) have introduced two science-based bills that would require gradual global warming emissions reduction of 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050.

                              These bill gradually lower global warming pollution, and call for a greater reliance on clean, renewable energy sources and improved energy efficiency. These solutions will reduce air pollution, create jobs, and reduce our dependence on oil.

                              Please protect future generations by co-sponsoring these critical bills.

                              Sincerely,

                              Diana Stauffer

                       Take Action!
                              Instructions:
                              Click here to take action on this issue or choose the "Reply to Sender" option on your email program.

                              Tell-A-Friend:
                              Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
                               Tell-a-Friend!

                              What's At Stake:
                              Scientists warn that to avoid the worst effects of global warming, we must prevent average global temperatures from rising more than 2° C above pre-industrial levels. To have a good chance of remaining below this threshold, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide equivalent must stabilize at 450 parts per million. To that end, Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) and Senators Jim Jeffords (I-VT) and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) have introduced two critical science-backed bills that would require a gradual global warming emission reduction of 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. More...

                  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for the Union of Concerned Scientists.

                  This message was sent to dianasum at directcon.net. Visit your subscription management page to update your personal profile. From this page you can change your email address, mailing address, name, congressional districts, email format preference, or add or remove yourself from various UCS newsletters, networks, and mailing lists.

            The Union of Concerned Scientists relies on individuals like you
            to support our research and advocacy.
            Join us to promote practical, science-based environmental and security solutions.
            If you have general questions, comments or concerns about this action, send email to ucsaction at ucsusa.org -- replying to this action will send the letter.

            We are committed to protecting your privacy, your email address will NEVER be sold or exchanged.