[Marin-d] from cat woods: leaving the Green Party

Marnie Glickman marnie at greenchange.com
Fri Oct 3 07:19:48 PDT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Cat Woods <cat801 at mindspring.com>
> Date: October 2, 2008 11:45:16 PM PDT
> To: GPUS list <natlcomvotes at green.gpus.org>
> Subject: [usgp-nc] leaving the Green Party
> listserv is for decision-making and management of GP-US affairs." <natlcomvotes at green.gpus.org
> >

> WHY WE ARE LEAVING THE GREEN PARTY
> October 2, 2008
>
> We, the undersigned delegates to the National Committee of the Green
> Party of the United States (GPUS), are hereby exiting the Green
> Party. The movement to democratize the Green Party, which began four
> years ago, has failed. Furthermore, there is no provision in the
> structure of the party to provide recourse to its members when
> entrenched leaders overstep their authority or violate the values
> and rules of the party. The structure of the party allows grassroots
> democracy – the will of its members – to be disregarded in the name
> of “decentralization” while, at the same time, centralizing the
> result of its undemocratic nomination process. The net result is
> that state Green parties strong enough to have ballot lines are
> controlled by an unaccountable small clique of people outside of
> those states. When even the few reforms that have been adopted by
> the national party can be ignored with impunity, we believe that
> further effort on our part to work for reform would be a waste of
> our energy and resources.
>
> In leaving the Green Party, we are not looking backward to the so-
> called “Democratic” and “Republican” parties. We learned long ago
> that the corporate funding and control of these two parties
> precludes the possibility of becoming a vehicle for needed political
> change. They long ago betrayed their ostensible constituencies and
> values. This is, in fact, why we have spent so many years working to
> make the Green Party into a real vehicle for change.
>
> We now believe that a new national progressive political party must
> be formed – one that ensures democratic standards for its members as
> part of its base structure, one with an explicit mission to pose an
> electoral challenge to the corporate-controlled “two-party system” –
> in order for greater justice, peace and ecological balance to become
> achievable goals. We call upon those who believe in these goals to
> come together to create an alternative that does not spin its wheels
> and those of its members, that instead establishes a competent,
> accountable and democratic structure that strengthens and inspires
> its members toward those goals.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Cat Woods, Green Party member of 16 years, GPUS delegate, Marin
> county council member
> Ann Tompkins, Green Party member of 8 years, GPUS delegate, former
> Sonoma county council member
> Marilyn Ditmanson, Green Party member of 8 years, GPUS delegate,
> former Butte county council member
>
> If your state delegation changes, please see:
> http://gp.org/committees/nc/documents/delegate_change.html

> [...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Marnie Glickman
Executive director
Green Change

www.greenchange.org
503.313.7919 w
707.313.7919 f
skype: marnieglickman

Green Change is a community of people with Green values:  justice,
grassroots democracy, sustainability and non-violence.  We work
together to share Green art, politics and culture.