[Marin-d] a. 2 Ca.GP by law change requested 2. positions need to be filled

david quinley david_quinley at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 23:37:57 PDT 2009

1.Ca.GP

It's that time again. We need to recruit 2 or 3 people for each of these GA tasks.

The Accreditation Team issues delegate cards and keeps track of quorum.

The Elections Team helps with the GPUS election by processing the votes in the
OpenSTV ...program.

It is important that more people start learning how to perform these tasks.
Please consider volunteering.

Jim gpca-cc at cagreens.orgRead More
gpca-cc Info Page
Source: marla.cagreens.org
This is the business list for the GPCA Coordinating Committee. It is intended for CC work, not for general discussions.Green Party members should communicate with your Regional Rep if you have an issue to bring to the CC.

2.CC Folks -
yes i read throught it - cant say i spent a lot time studying and have no real opinion on them at the moment - david q

We have a situation in the Bylaws SC that is now holding up two proposals
slated for the upcoming GA. Accordingly, the presenters are now asking the CC
to sponsor them.
This is an unusual situation, and this situation itself needs discussion.
We request 10 minutes each for the two proposals, and another 15 minutes for
the Bylaws situation.

Jim

PROPOSAL: CC to sponsor two proposals in the agenda packet in lieu of Bylaws
SC sponsorship:
1. - Wording for bylaws Article 2, Purpose [proposal packet pg. 22]
2. - A change to the threshold calculation for STV elections (used for CC
at-large seats and GPUS delegates) [proposal packet pg. 4]

PRESENTERS: Jim Stauffer, Michael Borenstein

BACKGROUND:
With the resignation of Tim Morgan, the Bylaws SC is left with only two
appointed members: John Wenger and Michael Borenstein. The two proposals
referenced above were submitted to Bylaws for sponsorship. In both cases, John
raised concerns about the proposals and would not support them. However, the
presenters of those proposals do not find John's concerns sufficient to
prevent these proposals from going to the GA. After John's initial comments on
the bylaws list, and the presenters' responses, no further messages from him
were received.
Jim Stauffer is the presenter on the voting threshold proposal; Michael
Borenstein presents on the Article 2 proposal.
John's arguments are:
Article 2 - Did not have time to review the proposal before it was due to the
agenda team.
Voting threshold - Did not like the technical nature of the threshold
description. Wants plain English used in the bylaws.
Jim responded to John with the following messages, after which no further
comments were received from John:
------------------------
I prefer plain english in most cases. But in cases involving technical
terms and definitions I lean more towards accuracy than clarity to those
unfamiliar with the subject.
I started a practice of recording bylaws changes and linking them to
their proposals. This is to provide all the rationale and background for
future reference.
http://www.cagreens.org/bylaws/modifications/index.html

Because of the proposal packet deadline, there was not time to resolve John's
concerns. Accordingly, Bylaws is not sponsoring these proposals.
Michael and Jim discussed the situation and decided to put the proposals into
the packet and then ask the CC to sponsor them.
This is unorthodox, but we felt that John's concerns did not merit withholding
the proposals from the GA, and we request the CC to now sponsor them.