[Marin-d] fw:marin anti-desalination + salmon habitat measures signature gathering + presere greens and the Petition to overturn 2/3 rule in Sacramento

davidquinley at aol.com davidquinley at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 12:21:22 PST 2010

 marin peace justice coalition www.mpjc.org  next mon. 6-9:30pm is having event on props. this may be party on possible props. 2 local measures (desalination + salmon habitat preservation)  and maybe info on this 1 as info item, since its already on the ballet - im helping put org. it, i will most likely haft miss because of cc call, of which i haft to go, unless lew or larry plan to be on the call, though since i following more closing, i should be on the call probably ,

 or i like to have some from the marin gp council, is anyone going to  it? - i'll send full list of props. ore measures for event, once decided on it

Sent: Mon, Feb 22, 2010 12:04 am
Subject: Re: Proposal ... Petition to overturn 2/3 rule in Sacramento

Dear Laura, and All Ca Greens,

    i absolutely concur with Laura's assessment regarding the importance of first qualifying this initiative for the ballot, and then voting "yes" in November; and with the need to help in gathering as many signatures as possible before the mid-April deadline.  i also completely agree that this and some other current initiative campaigns dovetail nicely with a necessary GPCA registration drive, and with supporting our candidates by building a mass base of Green Party activists, donors and voters.

    But...

    Please allow me to interject several words of caution :

    Careful completion of the "circulators declaration" at the bottom of each petition is a MUST for all or any of the signatures to be valid.

    Furthermore, the registered voter signing the petition must also :

A) Print first and last name legibly,
B) Sign Name,
C) Print RESIDENCE ADDRESS legibly, including Apt #'s if any (POBoxes are automatically disqualified), and
D) Print city and zip code below the residence address...

    Any omission above will likely disqualify the signature...

    You may only have addresses from ONE county on each multi-signature petition, and the county MUST be designated on the front above the signature field(s) in the blank space provided after : "We the undersigned, registered, qualified voters of California, residents of                                  County, etc"

    If you register someone to vote who also signs the petition, you must enter their 10 space  *affidavit letters and numbers*  from directly under the signature box on the registration form, into the box on the left hand column of the petition, to the left of the signer's printed and signed name.

    Note - 697,000 VALID signatures are needed by mid April... which normally means the campaign must collect a grand total of 1 million signatures to get 700,000 valid signatures.

    Finally, i am also concerned that the downloadable version of the initiative portrayed at the link below, is considerably different, with a lot of initiative text omitted from the version of the initiative provided to the professional signature gatherers statewide.  i am surprised and question whether there is really that much variation or leeway allowed in the two versions.

    If i can assist those who would like to have the professional version (with 8 signatures per petition) please feel free to contact me.

Peace/Unity

tim s

(please leave a message since i may be out of town for several days)