[Marin-d] Fw: [GPCA-CC] CC Teleconference Notes

david quinley david_quinley at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 21:27:24 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Adrienne Prince <adrienneprince at hotmail.com>
To: California State Green Party <gpca-cc at cagreens.org>
Sent: Mon, June 14, 2010 9:13:01 PM
Subject: [GPCA-CC] CC Teleconference Notes

Notes – CC
Teleconference 5/14/10 7:30 pm.

In Attendance:
Victoria Ashley, Michael Borenstein, Barry Hermanson, Matt Leslie, Adrienne
Prince, Jim Stauffer, David Quinley.

Quorum met at 7:41
Facilitator: Jim S.
Notes: Adrienne P.
Timekeeper: Mike B.

Item 1 - Presented by
Jim S. and Mike B:
They visited a Lake County meeting of about 12 people.
The group decided to organize themselves right away. Jim submitted a report of
this meeting at 1:12 this afternoon.
He asks that we certify the county council. Their report is below:

I think it was two meetings ago that we informed the CC
about a group in Lake County wanting to form a GPCA chapter.
Since the Reg Rep seat for Emerald region is vacant, Michael
and I were approved to serve that function for the purpose of
organizing a new chapter.
A meeting was held in Lake yesterday (6/13).
The original plan was to have this as a get-to-know-you meeting,
with the official organizing meeting to occur later.
However, all the requirements for an organizing meeting were met
so the group decided to proceed with establishing a GPCA Local.
The meeting report is copied below. As all requirement of 4-1.22 have been met, Michael and I recommend that the CC certifies this county council.

Questions: Did you make sure everyone on the new council were registered Greens? YES
Certification of Lake County Council passes by consensus.

	1. Report from Orangeabout plenary planning. Presenter: Matt Leslie.
Historic park has a cabin we can
rent. It has restrooms etc. but no breakout rooms. However, there are plenty of
outdoor areas. Available last weekend in August, First weekend in September
(Labor Day weekend). Cost will be $700 – $1100. He needs feedback about the
date and about the exact hours site will be needed. 8am – 6pm Saturday, 8 – 5
Sunday?
      Friday night CC meeting will be
elsewhere. Site is about 1 mile from Fullerton Transit Center
with Amtrak and Metrolink services. The only downside is that walking to the
site is difficult – would need a shuttle to transport people to it. Would like
a loan of $1200 from the CC to reserve the site. $1500 to help cover the food.

Discussion – Working with the offered dates is definitely
difficult!
September 11th/12th would be optimal.
Jim S. suggests grabbing this venue and plan for Aug. 28th until a Plan B occurs. Deposit may be non-refundable, however.
Matt L: Progressives at Cal State Fullerton could help us get their
venue for free or minimal cost. Matt will try to find a sponsoring group.
Jim: let’s notify the co-co’s list in order to start getting items
for the agenda.

3.  Establish an agenda team for
the plenary.  Jim S. is seriously unwilling to do the footwork on this
committee but could be consulted. Three people could do this. Matt L. is on it,
as the liaison from the host committee. Weekly or biweekly meetings could make
planning move fairly quickly. The members don’t need to be CC members but the
CC is responsible for oversight.
Jim S: Timeline contains the steps and jobs. The big job is getting
the agenda packet together, which requires word processing skills. Use of
spreadsheets needed, too.

4.  Report back on our $3,300 expenditure on media buys
for No on 14. (5 min.) Cres Vellucci did create this media project, creating
and airing 10-15 second spots.
Mike B: We don’t have a media coordinator on the CC anymore, but
maybe Media Committee could report back about it?
Barry regrets not having contacted someone on Media before this.
He’ll email Cres.

5.  Strategy Session - Mike
B and Barry H were supposed to talk about a presentation on the June
call. Perhaps there is a way to have this discussion during the plenary.
Jim S: The general election might take all our attention. Perhaps
better to discuss this early in 2011, and to develop the discussion well in
advance.
Barry H: is it possible for the Greens to front some money to the
candidates for statements in the voter handbooks? The candidates will also have
to raise money to make that happen. This statement is a very important
organizing tool. Or at least invest in a few key races. Statements with payments
are due around July 6.
Jim: Campaign support fund available for this purpose? Maybe Kendra
Gonzales could give us an idea of candidates who’d best benefit. Let’s find out
how much $ we have available.
Barry: This might be an excellent subject for the next fundraising
letter. Appeal letters have been generating good funds. With Prop 14’s passage,
this could be the last election in a while in which Greens are running on the
Fall ballot.

Co-Co’s List – Presenter: Mike B. Working Groups, Standing Groups
and the CC are three areas where newly activated Greens can participate. Each
group needs Co-Co’s and Alts.

Campaigns and Candidates Meeting – Presenter: Mike B. A
well-attended and lively meeting discussing Proposition 14 and its
implications.
Jim S: The argument was that it would threaten the existence of
minor parties. I don’t really believe that its that dire. A challenge to us but
we weren’t winning partisan races anyway. It does hurt that we won’t be listed
on the general election ballots. We could demand that the Secretary of State
work on the Elections Code about the ballot qualification section. Certainly
there will also be lawsuits or they might have to be postponed until the 2012
election’s results show harm. Or this could be a good opportunity to promote
ranked-choice voting. It would be insane to enact the Prop. 14 provisions
without ranked-choice voting. The doom and gloom tone of the immediate press
release was displeasing to many people.
Mike B: IRV on a state ballot means an 8 – 10 year strategy but a
good idea.
David Q: Finding a good lawyer would be helpful.
Barry H: Libertarians are raising a money for a legal challenge. We
may have to act in coalition with them, and with Peace & Freedom parties.
Could be a good thing.
Mike: Running for and winning nonpartisan races could set people up
for building recognition for higher offices.
Barry: Thanks to Orange County
for voting NO on 14!
Matt: Us and San Francisco.
We got the word out, maybe we had an effect.

	1. Green Focus – Barry H: Many things I liked, some things we could do better.
 Mike B: We could always use
more participants.

Adjourn 9:10 pm

Ongoing Online
Discussions will include: Plenary Planning, Financing for Candidate
Statements