[Marin-d] Fwd: [GPCA-CCWG] Green Lt. Governor candidate Jimi Castillo in the news

Greenartist davidquinley at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 23:21:40 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Kendra Gonzales <earthworks_works at yahoo.com>
To: vcgreens at lists.riseup.net
Cc: Green Party Campaigns & Candidates <gpca-ccwg at cagreens.org>
Sent: Fri, Oct 22, 2010 10:29 am
Subject: [GPCA-CCWG] Green Lt. Governor candidate Jimi Castillo in the news

(Check out the picture of Jimi on the web page)

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_16392065

Candidate blazes a trail
Castillo running for lieutenant governor

Mediha Fejzagic DiMartino, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin Staff Writer
October 20th, 2010

When the Green Party called Jimi Castillo to be its candidate in California's lieutenant governor race, Castillo wasn't sure what to do.

"My first thought was there is no way I will win, so why should I even do it," said Castillo, an American Indian who lives in Fontana. "But then I thought, well, everyone is upset at the politicians in Sacramento, maybe I do have a chance."

But beating out the front-runners, Democrat Gavin Newsom and incumbent Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado, a Republican, now seems like a far-fetched dream. Donations to Castillo's campaign have netted just $1,500, which helped him pay for several boxes of brochures, buttons and 10 lawn signs.

Castillo's campaign trail hasn't proved to be too popular either - it has led him to a handful of pow wows and community meetings.

But his candidacy was mentioned in a wedding program of a couple whose ceremony he officiated at a couple of months ago in Redlands, and next week he is scheduled to appear on Pacifica Radio on KPFK-FM (90.7).

Castillo has also made several appearances at local universities, but, by law, he could not ask for donations or votes.

"Likelihood of seeing me on TV is very slim," he said.

But for Castillo, the glass is half full - he hopes.

The campaign will "crack the door open for other Native Americans hoping to run for an office," he said.

Castillo, 68, is a member of the Tongva Nation, an indigenous tribe of the Los Angeles Basin. The Green Party's agenda coincides with Native American philosophy, he said.

"They respect the earth, water and air, all living creatures," Castillo said. "They also believe in sovereignty for all nations globally. It's a very humble party."

His first time in the public spotlight came unexpectedly several years ago when he was asked to fill in for a keynote speaker at a Green Party event.

"I guess they liked me," Castillo said. "Then, last November, I got a call asking me if I wanted to be their candidate. I couldn't believe it. I had to call them back to make sure I got this right."

As the shock wore off, the former Marine was ready to put up a fight.

"I served in the military, so I duck pretty well," I served in the military, so I duck pretty well," Castillo said. "When they start slinging mud at me I will be OK. They say Sacramento is broken. There is nothing wrong with Sacramento. The politicians are taking the wrong direction."
Castillo's platform is shaped by his life experiences. A former spiritual leader at the now-closed Heman G. Stark Youth Correctional Facility in Chino, his to-do list includes prison reform and separating the Division of Juvenile Justice from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
"Some time ago, they added the `R' (to their name), which stands for rehabilitation," Castillo said. "I didn't see any rehabilitation - they are doing the same business as before. They laid off teachers and mental health (counselors)."
If elected, Castillo said he would also reach out to his constituents and listen to their concerns.
"I will not spend my time behind the long mahogany desk and delegate orders," he said.
Castillo is in favor of exposing politicians' incomes and would agree to a cut in pay. He also opposes off-shore drilling until he is convinced all safeguards are in place.
He supports Proposition 19, which would legalize possession of up to one ounce of marijuana for personal consumption and allow local governments to collect fees and taxes. He is against an Arizona law designed to give state authorities power to look for and deport illegal immigrants.
Castillo said he would fight for a clean and safe supply of drinking water for all, as well as establishing more affordable and accessible education.
He would also stand up for children's rights.
"In our society, animal rights supercede children's rights," Castillo said. "If I hit a dog and someone sees me, I would get arrested. But if I spank a child, I will not."
Although Newsom and Maldonado are not losing much sleep over Castillo, for the Green Party, he is a right candidate.
"Jimi carries values of the Green Party very well," party spokesman Derek Iversen said. "We are proud to have someone from the indigenous community representing our green values at a statewide platform."

Jimi Castillo for Lt. Governor
http://www.jimicastillo.org/

Castillo will be on American Indian Airwaves on KPFK, 90.7FM radio, Tuesday, October 26th at 8pm
http://www.kpfk.org/programs/43-american-indian-airwaves.html

GPCA-MediaWG at cagreens.org

gpca-ccwg at cagreens.org