[Marin-d] new state gp phone campaign - contact marnie if u like to get invoved

david quinley david_quinley at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 21:45:24 PST 2011

NOTES FROM GAUTUM DUTTA
marnie.glickman at gmail.com

Thanks Mike for inviting me.

He's leading an effort to challenge prop 14. Two pieces. (1) Voters saw (2) What
was passed in SB 6. SB 6 is bad because

(1) If you write in in the general, your vote doesn't count.
(2)  If you run as a minor party candidate (not-ballot qualified party), you
can't say the name of your party or are independent.  Law requires that  you say
you have no party preference.

We are challenging SB 6 in state and fed court.  We are asking that Prop 14 be
put on hold during the Harman special election.

While we're technically not going after Prop 14, the impact will have that
effect if we succeed.

If supporting legislative is tossed, Prop 14 gets suspended.

We  have a really strong case. In Fed district court. Hearing on 3/21.  We've
gotten negative body language from the judge. If we win that's  great, SOS will
appeal. If we lose we appeal to the 9th circuit.

SOS is candidate in this very election. She will  benefit from the law because
she can see her party preference and not  Mike Chamness.

BORENSTEIN: Raised the State Assembly in central CA

DUTTA: Tomorrow we're goimng to amend our complaint to include some candidates
in the State Assembly.

BORENSTEIN: Should we find a write-in

JAN: If district court rules for us, how will Mike Chamness appear

DUTTA: Mike will be listed as an Independent.  The court will revert to old
rule.

GLICKMAN: What is the worst thing about Prop 14?

DUTTA: Limiting voters choice in the November election.  Now they get two
choices only.  Write-ins get thrown away.

BORENSTEIN:

DUTTA: Under old rules, you have to stick by which party you're registered with.
You can't change parties at last minute.

JAN: When do we hear about the ruling?

DUTTA: Hearing is on 3/21. The election will be set  by March 14th. It'll be in
May or June. He could issue a ruling that  day.   It's safe to say within a few
weeks.  No matter what someone will  appeal. It'll go to April for sure.

KENDRA: What's the best website?

DUTTA: BusinessAndElectionLaw.com is the best place to read updates.