[Sosfbay-discuss] Prop 13 effect in Santa Clara County

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Nov 1 20:25:43 PST 2005

The following was sent today as a future column for the Morgan Hill Times.  INfo
source is the County Assessors Annual Report 2005-2006 available at their web
site: http://www.scc-assessor.org/scc/assets/docs/95344505_final_report_8-23.pdf
----
When Proposition 13 was implemented in 19778-78, it was heralded as the way to
save the family home.  No more would home owners, especially seniors on fixed
incomes, be forced to move or to sell their homes just to avoid tax increases.
Since that is approximately the time that I purchased my home in Morgan Hill, I
have had the benefit of Proposition 13 for a long time.

Now, we are not only dealing with the benefits of Proposition 13, but also the
problems of Proposition 8.  Between the two, they have opened up enough loop
holes for corporations and other businesses that our Governor could drive his
Hummer through, as he famously chided Ariana  Huffington in one debate.

The result of these loopholes and other measures is a change in who bears the
burden of local, real estate based taxation.  In 1977-78, the valuation in Santa
Clara County, and with it the tax burden, was divided about 50/50 between single
family residential – condominium owners and business or other collective
ownership.  In the Santa Clara County Assessors's latest Annual Report covering
2005-2006 fiscal year, that division has shifted to 67% of the tax burden
falling on the home owner and only 33% falling on other holders.

In many cases, this might only be because businesses have been better positioned
to take advantage of Proposition 8 rules to lower their evaluations. In other
cases it has been possible for business interests to change ownership gradually
so as to never trigger the “sale” of a property and its revised assessment.

The net result is the fact that we, the home owners are being asked to pay more
and more or to give up services.  While the City of Morgan Hill is running a
deficit, the development community is walking around smiling.  While Santa Clara
County is talking about layoffs for next year, we find that there is no way make
things work except by raising sales tax revenue buying more things that we don't
really need. .  While business complain about the lack of well educated workers,
the burden of supporting our schools falls increasingly on the home owner and
California Schools rank near the bottom in terms of per capita student funding.

Something just does not make sense out of this.  While the Howard Jarvis folks
continue to agitate for less and less taxes for the home owner, they are letting
the rest get off with not carrying their fair share. The Jarvis folks don't want
to talk about real estate taxation on businesses.  Now, they are at it again,
proclaiming on their web site a : “Huge threat to Prop. 13. Silicon Valley tax
raisers would dismantle taxpayer protections”.

It is truly time to revisit both Proposition 13 and Proposition 8 and to close
the loopholes.  Maybe we can not roll things back to the way they were, but we
surely should be able to find a way to fund City and County Government without
putting such a heavy tax burden on young families who are buying their first new
home.

Yes, we have to make hard decisions about what services we want to have from
government and then how we are going to fund them.  But keeping the status as it
is forces governments into making short range decisions for short range revenue
gain when they should be making decisions with a view on the sustainability of
specific economic development and the long term health of the community.
--
"I find I have a great lot to learn – or unlearn. I seem to know far too much
and this knowledge obscures the really significant facts, but I am getting on."

Wesley C. Rolley
17211 Quail Court
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)778-3024