[Sosfbay-discuss] NO TO SCHWARZENEGGER -- NOW, WILL GREENS GET A HEARING?

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 09:54:04 PST 2005

Dear Green Friends,

Just two years after the crazy recall election of 2003, the screaming
headline on this morning's edition of the San Francisco Chronicle says
it all:

CALIFORNIANS SAY NO TO SCHWARZENEGGER

Every single one of Arnold's bullshit "reforms" went down to defeat!

A couple of them were not even close. For example, Proposition 76,
which would have given this madman almost disctatorial powers over the
state budget was voted down by 60%. Proposiition 77 on the
redistricting of state legislative and congressional districts and
advertised as a "reform" of the undeniable gerrymandering whereby not a
single congressional or state legislative seat changed parties in the
2004 elections, was voted down by 57%.

Personally, the frustrating thing for me, is that could make a case for
reform in all of these areas, just as you could make a case for
recalling Democratic Governor Fyar Davis in 2003, but voters, properly
in my opinion, saw this as an expensive, gratuitous power grab by
Schwarzenegger and that good-for-nothing, crazy, rightwing Republican
Party.

One of the arguments which I made against these propositions in a
couple of letters-to-the-editor, (which the So-Called-Liberal-Media, of
course, refused to print), was that anyone could tell the "reformers"
were phony by the arguments they could have made but DID NOT MAKE for
reform.

The only thing the "reformers" gave us was the rightwing Republican
"party line."

PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS

If public employee unions have too much power, then why not use the
example of the POLICEMEN'S UNION right here in Milpitas? Since the
policemen's union helped muscle in a 3-to-2 council majority last year,
the puppet regime has purged boards and commissions of all who might
disagree and even abolished the ethics board.

And why not use the example of the California PRISON GUARDS UNION that
successfully bought and paid for both Democrat Gray Davis and
Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Alas, the "party line" for rightwing bully boys is always badmouth
"liberal" teachers and nurses; never badmouth "tough guys" in the
Pentagon, F.B.I., C.I.A., police, and prisons.

GERRYMANDERED LEGISLATIVE DISTRICTS

If gerrymandered districts are bad why not use the example of San
Jose's Asian-American community "where redistricting wiped out a
potentially Asian seat" in the state assembly, according to the
December 12, 2004 San Jose Mercury News?

I would have bet real money that there was no way we'd ever get through
a very long, expensive, and brusing campaign on Prop 77 without the
disgraceful and possibly illegal manipulation of the "white" vote and
the "minority group" vote even coming up, but by God, these phony
"reformers" somehow managed to do it!

Alas, the "party line" says dirty tricks for the sake of maintaining
White Supremacy is okay.

BIPARTISANSHIP

Finally, if reform has bipartisan support why not use the example of
independents and real Democrats?

Alas, the "party line" says the only "good Democrat" is a DINO
("Democrat In Name Only"). Thus, the "reformers" trot out San Jose's
ex-mayor Tom McEnery, a cranky, crazy guy who, among other things, is a
well-known Mexican-hater. Proposition 77 was actually endorsed by
Chellie Pingree, president of Common Cause, an independent progressive
group. Amazingly, the phony "reformers" never once actually quoted this
person!  In fact, throughout this long, expensve, and bruising campaign
we hardly ever heard from anybody who wasn't already a suck-up to the
Bush-Schwarzenegger Republicans.

NOW, WILL GREENS GET A HEARING?

This was the fourth damned statewide election in California in four
years (2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005). Folks around here are sick and
tired of Democratic and Republican PARTY hacks shouting at each other.
  Now that they've said NO to Arnold, what are California voters to do?
Give the Gray Davis Democrats another chance to fuck up?

Boy, if I were younger, richer, and better-looking I'd run for office
in 2006 myself!

Think about it.

In California we've had:

8 Years of Republican Pete Wilson
8 Years of Democrat William Jefferson Clinton
5 Years of Republican George W. Bush
5 Years of Democrat Gray Davis, and now
2 Years of Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger

Oh!  And did I mention a Republican Congress in Washington and a
Democratic legislature in Sacramento?

In 2003 PETER CAMEJO said it very well on national television: "The
two-party system is dysfunctiona.l"  As Peter painstakingly explained,
unless something is done, among other things, the California State
Budget will be *STRUCTURALLY* fucked-up ... well ...  forever!

So, here we are two years later and for all his heat, noise, and smoke,
Arnold Schwarzenegger has accomplished nothing.

These facts would fit easily on a campaign button or palm card along
with the Green Party logo and two words:

HAD ENOUGH?

Alex Walker