[Sosfbay-discuss] Local issue elections

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Nov 11 19:38:19 PST 2005

The following was posted today about the Borough President's race in
Brooklyn last Tuesday. It show what CAN happen with good candidates
grabbing on the local issues. Brooklyn has been a center of machine
politics since before San Francisco was a City. The Democratic Machine
runs the place, from Flatbush to Ocean Parkway.Yes, Mattera brought in
Cindy Sheehan but that did not win her votes. Standing up the Democratic machine
did.

Markowitz is the kind of politician that Ron Gonzalez wants to be. After
all, he had $4 million to campaign with and no term limigs.
Mattera had less than $300,000 and $200,000 of that came from public matching funds.

____

      Victory over Marty Markowitz at key Brooklyn polling sites
      reflects strong opposition to Bruce Ratner's Atlantic Yards Project

Mattera beat Ratner supporter Markowitz in several electoral districts
close to the developer's Atlantic Yards proposal footprint, resulting in
the largest percentage of votes for a Green Party candidate in a
borough-wide race.

    "Our totals in the 52nd and 57th Assembly Districts clearly show
    that there is a lot of community opposition to the Forest City
    Ratner Corporation," said Mattera. "People who have never voted
    Green before did so in big numbers. They see us working side by side
    with the community in its fight against tax-subsidized private
    development and eminent domain."

    Pointing to the fact that she beat Markowitz in several electoral
    districts close the Atlantic Yards, Mattera said "This should serve
    as a wake-up call for elected officials-that they can no longer take
    voters for granted and will be held accountable for actions that
    undermine our communities."

--
"I find I have a great lot to learn – or unlearn. I seem to know far too much and this knowledge obscures the really significant facts, but I am getting on." -- Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Wesley C. Rolley
17211 Quail Court
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)778-3024