[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [SVBC] San Jose "Buy Nothing Day" Bike Party - 11/25, 5:30pm]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 18 22:53:59 PST 2005

FYI,

Gerry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SVBC] San Jose "Buy Nothing Day" Bike Party - 11/25, 5:30pm
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:48:42 -0800
From: nick laskowski <wheelrevolt at fastmail.fm>
To: SVBC <bikes at svbcbikes.org>

Hello SVBC members:

The details for the next San Jose/Santa Clara Bike Party have been
released!

Friday, 11/25/2005 - the Day After Thanksgiving - 5:30 PM
Location Details:
Meet at Plaza de Cesar Chavez park, downtown San Jose: Market St. at
Park Ave. Here's a map: http://tinyurl.com/8qpl9

Don't get stuck in the crowds on the busiest shopping day of the
year...come join us instead for:

the South Bay's Buy Nothing Day Bike Party!

Buy Nothing Day is a reaction to "Black Friday," the busiest shopping
day of the year in the U.S., the day after Thanksgiving, when millions
of people drive away from their homes and families to get stuck in
parking lot traffic jams, waiting to spend their hard-earned savings on
yet another piece of disposable, prettily-packaged chance for
satisfaction and eternal happiness - or at least until the next big sale.

It's precisely this sort of attitude that leads us to trap ourselves in
giant SUVs, isolated from our communities and our environments, many
feet from our own passengers, busily wasting oil for which our young are
sent to kill, threatening everything in our path and forgetting
everything that matters.

Get out of your cars!
Get out of the stores!
Get onto your bike!
Get into the street!
Get to the BIKE PARTY!

Come meet people and generally have fun in the streets!

We'll have a relaxed ride from San Jose's downtown, most likely headed
Westward towards some of the busiest shopping/congestion areas in the
South Bay.

Bring lights, signs, tiki torches, boomboxes, and anything else that
will make you visible and safe.

All are invited to a free cafe concert afterwards.

More information on Buy Nothing Day:
http://www.adbusters.org/bnd

South Bay Buy Nothing Day Bike Party!
Friday, November 25th, 2005
(the Day after Thanksgiving)
5:30pm - Plaza de Cesar Chavez, downtown San Jose
Ride your bike against oil wars and consumerist traffic jams!

Need more information?  Contact wheelrevolt (at) fastmail.fm or 375-0899
in the 4-0-8!

In the style of Critical Mass, this event is not organized by any
particular individual or organization, but instead by a number of
cyclists with a shared goal in improving the livability of our
communities and the partyability of our roads.  Any attempt to attribute
responsibility to a single individual or group would be inaccurate and
foolish.

--
Save gas money and try a more enjoyable, exciting, and healthier way of
getting around:  ride your bike!

with the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject or body--don't include the
quotation marks.  You will be asked to confirm your request to
unsubscribe for security reasons.

List information: