[Sosfbay-discuss] Lessons learned blogging

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Nov 23 08:55:37 PST 2005

Very good!

> May I forward your email to the GPCA CC?
>
> (I assume you have already said something like this to the
> media committee.)
>
> Gerry

Gerry,

If I post it, it is for public consumption, feel free to do what you
want.  If I send it to your personal account, it isn't.

Yes, I have said something similar to the mdeia committee and to Erika
and Larry (CoCos) directly.  I believe that Erika will be at Yolo
presenting  a summary of trends and happenings in media that also
includes the facts that:

- newspaper readership is declining.  Mercury News by 3 % over last
year, the Chronicle by 16%

- non-English newspapers are consolidating even more quickly. The
Mercury News has discontinued its Vietnamese newspaper Viet Mercury and
replaced its Spanish language Nuevo Mundo with Fronteras, a tabloid from
Mexico with only a one sheet local news includsion in the middle.  The
last local news included 4 items from the Contra Costa Times.

- the discussion has to be one of how we best make use of  other media,
talk radio, TV, Internet, street theater, whatever... think of an Andrea
Dorey produced video entered into film festivals around California.  The
just completed Poppy Jasper Film Festival in Morgan Hill would have been
a good choice and I just did not think of it in time.

The plus side of Internet blogging and activist web sites is the fact
that the people you reach are more likely to be be activists them selves
willing to do something about the issues you bring forward..  The
negative is that they do not reach a general audience.  It is a myth
that "If you build it, they will come."  You have to really work at
letting people know it is there and making it easy for them to find
you.  Then more will come.

Another example:  I have a notification list for my PomboWatch blog.
That list has three friendly reporters on it.  Whenever I post a major
new entry, as I did this last time, I trigger a notification.  About the
only ones who respond to that email are reporters who say "thanks for
the info."

The last example is the fact that most blog software makes it easy to
syndicate material.  The use of RSS  or Atom-XML feeds means that my
material can show up on other blogs with no work on my part. For
example, there is a Portland, OR hosted site called "leftyblogs.org."
PomboWatch is syndicated on that site so that my material appears on
leftyblogs as well as PomboWatch.  I have noticed in the stats that I am
getting increased traffic at PomboWatch following links from leftyblogs.

Now, here is my offer.  If the GPSCC picks out a single race in which
they want to make a major effort for 2006, I will set up and direct a
media onslaught targeting that one race.  I don't care what it is, just
that it has full GPSCC support and a major issue associated with it.
With the time I spend on fighting Pombo, I will need other writers who
can author material.  But, we can try to make this work at a very local
level with the same intensity that it is working for us in the 11th CD.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
http://www.refpub.com/