[Sosfbay-discuss] Fwd: STATEMENT FROM THE JAMAICA PLAIN/BOSTON CHAPTER OF THE GREEN-RAINBOW PARTY CONCERNING THE OCTOBER 29 DEMONSTRATION

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 17:37:48 PDT 2005

Dear Green Friends,

See below an e-mail I have just received through the e-lists of the
Black Caucus of the Green Party.

It's a statement from the Boston Chapter of the Green-Rainbow Party
withdrawing support from the next round of antiwar demonstrations in
Boston. Green-Rainbow is the name of the Green Party in Massachusetts,
which I happen to know was partly organized by Mel King, a legendary,
longtime African-American progressive leader going all the way back to
the 1950s.

I hate to say "I Told You So" but I told you so. See, it's not just me.
E-mails like this are showing up in my in-box every day. It is not that
the liberals in Boston or New York or California are doing anything
today than anything they have been doing for the last twenty years.

But since Katrina, something HAS HAPPENED. The Washington Post actually
reported a scientific poll in which the approval rating for George W.
Bush has actually dropped to 2%. You read that right. That's T-W-O
percent. Another poll said it had dropped to somewhere between 8% and
12%. David Bositis, a senior political analyst at the Joint Center for
Political and Economic Studies, which tracks African American public
opinion, explained that anything below 10%, in this kind of poll is
statistically "about as low as you can go."

In the Washington Post article Democratic pollster Peter Hart put it
very well. African-Americans never liked Bush. 92% voted against him in
the 2000 election. Nevertheless, Hart says:

"African Americans were not supporters, but I don't think that they
outright detested him -- until now,"

Yes. Now we really hate the bastard and all of his cronies and enablers
and any "liberal" or pain-in-the-ass "moderate" who doesn't get it is
gonna be in trouble.

Alex Walker