[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [GPCA-CC] Plenary Date is Postponed - date TBA]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 17 15:34:59 PDT 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [GPCA-CC] Plenary Date is Postponed - date TBA
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:52:36 -0700
From: "Adrienne Prince" <adrienneprince at hotmail.com>
To: "GPCA Coordinating Committee" <gpca-cc at marla.cagreens.org>

OK, Guys: I am so glad we had this dialogue, updated version is below.
Due to many scheduling conflicts, especially of candidates, we of the
Ventura County Greens are deciding to postpone the plenary event until a
weekend in June, to be announced early this week. We are very sorry for
any inconvenience or expense this causes for anyone.

It's important for you to know that this decision to reschedule did not
come lightly, nor did our decision to host a plenary in the first place.
I'm sorry I even mentioned our personal needs, for although we did
have personal needs conflicts, we were willing and planning to just
"motor" though them, doing everything at once, in order to make this
event happen. The fact that the College had not responded to our
scheduling request was disturbing, but not that daunting.

We were and are completely committed to creating a high-quality event
for everyone, and we did not feel this would happen with the valid
statewide scheduling conflicts regarding the April date, which our CC
supermajority voting process did not allow us to alter. Some have said
the agenda release date goes against the requirements set out in the
bylaws - all we knew was that we had to hurry up and order food without
having any pre-registration figures to indicate how much to order. We
asked for this discussion in order to find out what the will of the
participants really was, as we in the CC really are just representatives
and don't always know what our locals need.

So thank you all SO much for allowing this dialogue to occur. It is our
hope that some items can be handled before the new date, electronically,
and that the locals will have plenty of time to review the packet and
pre-register.

Our best to you all - Adrienne and the Ventura County Council

County           Person       Allotted     Attending    +Alts
Preferred Date            Why

Alameda           Sharon P.        9             6/7
              June             A.Allison

Campaign Sacto Event

Central    Marybeth, Cat W.          ?       0
?                June          Fresno, Butte can’t attend

Contra Costa   Sharon P.
3                               Either

Emerald Region                        6             5-6

Los Angeles    Michael F.       17
13-17                           April        Don’t inconvenience

delegates; expect 50 – 70

total as it’s a SoCal plenary

Marin              Cat W.              1-2           1               1

Orange            Matt L.               5            4-5
1           Either

San Francisco  Bruce W.           9             6-9

Santa Clara                              4
4                 1

Santa Cruz       Paul F.             3                2

San Mateo      Mitch S.            3
2                            June          Sacto & May 1 events

Solano             Sharon P.         1              ?
                               June                Local Work

Sonoma                                     4             ?
                ?          June

TOTALS (as of 4/16/06)        59-60      43-53           3+
June=5, April=1, Either=2

Individuals Weighing in:

Carol Brouillet (Santa Clara) – Prefers June, more possible for her to
attend (candidate) also

discuss agenda w/local.

Tom Bolema – Don’t postpone plenary unless quorum can’t be established.
Agenda Committee

                             worked hard.

Michael Borenstein – The lateness of agenda and pkt. goes against
bylaws; Sacto event is a

                                      major consideration.

Larry Cafiero – Would accommodate any schedule – postponing is probably
wise.

Peter Camejo – Wrote letter urging rescheduling of plenary in order to
attend Sacto. Event.

Don Eichelberger – Budget issues can be done online. Regrouping could be
a good thing.  June

date would not be a terrible thing.

Paul Encimer – Let’s go around the host committee, create a Floating
Host Committee.

                           Emerald Region may host a September plenary.

Mike Feinstein – It’s more important to hold the plenary and reimburse
for any losses.

Paul Franklin -  Host committee has failed us. We should motor ahead,
finding a venue, etc.

without their help. Comments (4/14 11:42 pm) also included a very cogent
analysis of the agenda, consent, voting and bylaws issues and says we
shouldn’t bluster ahead.

Gerry Gras –  Sonoma and his home county both prefer postponement until
June.

Pat Gray – Will not be able to attend an April plenary due to Sacramento
event.

                     Strongly prefers June date to elect rep and have
regional mtg. first

Greg Jan – June 24-25 will be better. (source?)

Jared Laiti – Hold now, or backlog of work gets worse. Wishes host
committee were more

                     prepared. Undecided, all in all.

                 A Standing GA could take up the weight of time-sensitive
decision items, now and in

                      future. But we have to develop the procedures.

Matt Leslie – An April date will not give enough agenda review time to
the locals.

Jonathan Lundell – Later date will ensure better preparation from CC and
host committee.

Tim Morgan – Try for April, it is inconvenient to refund plane tickets.

Bill Patterson – Plenaries are hard work. Let the host committee have
breathing room, support.

Shane Que Hee – Try for April, because we need a good number of
plenaries this year for max.

                   candidate exposure.

Tim Smith – 2 emails said delay to help host comm.; Tim M, Jared L., Cat
W. disagree

Jim Stauffer – (Santa Clara) Delay in order to review the agenda and
help the host committee

Bruce Wolfe – Do not delay, or if it is delayed, put it in September.
Summer is busy for many

                             reasons, for many people.

Cat Woods – Agenda is fine as is, why delay all the way to June? Host
committee should be

                       better prepared.  Cat, Marybeth and Mike W or his
alt will need homestays.

                       Update: Plenary packet needs work before released.
Perhaps postpone 1 week?

Mike Wyman – The April plenary will be tepid and conflicted, whereas a
June plenary would be

a resounding success.

Cres Vellucci – June is good, he will be covering the Sacto. Event.

                             (accd. to Mark Barney/Media Committee call).

Genuine Concerns – That this plenary will be ill-attended and useless,
perhaps even “gamed”

                          Vs. The need for consistency, to obey processes
(however flawed) and

    scheduling needs for the year as a whole.

General Totals from Individuals Weighing in:

      Don’t Postpone: 7

      Please Postpone: 16+

      Total: 23

Host Committee Sucks! 4