[Sosfbay-discuss] Immigration Facts

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Apr 20 11:43:54 PDT 2006

I have just submitted the following to the Morgan Hill times.  I think
that it brings up two issues on immigration that are not well covered.
I was touted on to the second one re: growth, after a brief conversation
with Camejo who uses the same facts to indicate that the entire issue is
bogus.

__

For the last month, immigration has rivaled the Iraq War as topic number
one in the news. Hardly a day goes by without reading or watching
something about immigration in the news. We see the size of the protest.
We hear about the number of “illegal” immigrants. We watch the
immigration marches. We are asked to consider whether high school
students should be suspended for skipping class to engage in protest.

There are some very basic issues, keys to understanding what is going
on, that rarely make it into the news. Most basic is the fact that there
will be no stopping the influx of immigrants, especially from Latin
America, as long as they can earn 15 to 20 times as much here as they
could at home. Ask yourself. Whether you would cross the border is you
could earn as much in 2 days as you could in an entire month staying at
home.

I think that the answer is that you would, preferably by legal means,
but by illegal methods if necessary. You would not even consider
yourself to be a criminal. You are doing this so that your family might
live a better life. Most would not want to be away from their families
for such a long time under such conditions of uncertainty. But still you
would come. I think that we have to accept this as a fact. We could
spend billions constructing a fence on the Mexican border, and still
people will come.

Until something is done that will raise the standard of living in Latin
America to a level closer to that of the United States, we will not have
an end to the stream of immigrants coming here for a better life. NAFTA
was touted as being the mechanism to accomplish this. When she was
Attorney General, Janet Reno recognized that she could “protect our
borders with the most personnel and the best technology, but let us also
face facts: A richer, more stable, more competent Mexico is the only
solution to real immigration reform. With NAFTA in place, I can work far
more effectively with my Mexican counterparts to insure tough
enforcement of our anti drug laws.”

Unfortunately, NAFTA has been a failure at accomplishing this. True,
some manufacturing has moved to Mexico, but it is all assembly work
where the components have to be imported and the product exported. As a
result, Mexico sees very little financial benefit. I ask whether it is
better to spend billions of dollars for a wall or to spend similar
amounts helping Mexico develop the economic base such that workers will
not have to leave to seek employment elsewhere.

At least we have the Day Worker Center in Morgan Hill. It provides
services to as many as 25 or 30 workers per day depending on the
particular program that they are running. This community has recognized
the facts of immigration and has committed to providing support to those
who need it most.

Then, I ask what would we be doing without immigrants? I am not talking
about having day laborers work on our yards, farm laborers in the 110
degree heat of the Imperial Valley summer or cleaning staff for our
motels. It is much more fundamental. This is about growth.

Even the City of Morgan Hill bases all of it's planning on the idea that
growth is good. Our Chamber of Commerce says that growth is good. We
build projects that we can not afford now, secure in the knowledge that
with growth will come the necessary funding to run those facilities. In
a way, growth is a part of the American Dream, along with a place of
one's own with a back yard for children to play and a good school within
walking distance.

If you examine the birth rate in the United States, you will see that it
has been dropping steadily for the last 20 years. We are now approaching
the rate of 2.07 births per woman. That is the rate which is needed to
sustain a population. Once the rate drops below that, the population
will decline. So, if growth is good, if we need growth to keep the
construction industry moving, if we need growth for real estate
developers, if we need the revenue from new construction fees to finance
local government, then we need immigration.

Without the annual influx of immigration the demand for new housing
would drop precipitously. Removing 11 million residents from the United
States, as some would have us do, could send this nation spiraling into
a long recession cycle based solely on the fact that new housing
construction would absolutely stop, laying off many construction workers.

Maybe we should be careful about what we ask for. We may get it. If the
House of Representatives gets it's way we may see an end to the
increasing home prices, an end to new construction jobs. Even
Congressmen like our own Richard Pombo voted for these changes in spite
of having strong financial support from developer interests. Sometimes,
I just don't understand politicians or their supporters.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024