[Sosfbay-discuss] IRV

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Apr 26 11:21:42 PDT 2006

The following has been in the Letters to the Editor at the Mercury News
this week. Maybe it is time for a followup from someone else in San
Jose.  Agree with Cook. Who can get that out?

Wes

__

  San Jose should try instant run-off

Now that we have 10 candidates running for mayor of San Jose, isn't it
time we talked about instituting instant run-off voting for our mayoral
elections? Also known as ranked-choice voting, it lets residents vote
for their first choice for mayor, but then list their second, third,
fourth and so on in the race. If no candidate wins more than 50 percent
of first choices, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and
the second choices of those voters are counted. The aim is to settle
highly competitive contests with a single trip to the voting booth,
saving the city thousands of dollars on run-off elections. And with San
Jose's budget deficit, we can use every penny we can save.

/Joseph Cook/
/San Jose/

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024