[Sosfbay-discuss] register latino voters

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 26 15:12:12 PDT 2006

This came by way of working assets

*** VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY ***

Help Register Latino Voters

Enormous public demonstrations in recent days -- inspired by H.R.
4437, the punitive immigration "reform" proposed by conservatives --
have shown the potential organizing power of Latinos. However, this
movement has not yet transformed into political power; while Latinos
make up about 36% of California's population, they comprise only about
14% of California's registered voters.

Throughout 2006, Working Assets will be working to register and
mobilize Latino voters to address this disparity, with a special focus
on the Central Valley and the outskirts of the Bay Area. We're working
with local community partners to have a presence at community events,
as well as canvass neighborhoods and educate new voters on their
rights and mobilize them to vote.

We could really use your help at two Earth Day festivals this weekend.

Click here to help register voters at the Earth Day festival in Gilroy
on Saturday:
http://values.workingassets.com/cgi-bin7/DM/y/emfF0JlqPD0S5x0BFQw0ER

Click here to help register voters at the Earth Day festival in
Stockton on Sunday.
http://values.workingassets.com/cgi-bin7/DM/y/emfF0JlqPD0S5x0BFQx0ES

Spanish speakers are especially needed! Working with our friends at
the League of Women Voters of San Joaquin County, and Clean Water
Fund, we'll be setting up in two locations this weekend -- at the
Earth Day Festivals in Gilroy and Stockton. More community outreach
events are being planned in the upcoming events, including the Cinco
de Mayo farmers market in Stockton next Friday, May 5th. If you'd like
to get involved in those, please drop a note to Brett Richer of Clean
Water Fund at bricher at cleanwater.org

Click here to register voters at the Earth Day festival in Gilroy on
Saturday:
http://values.workingassets.com/cgi-bin7/DM/y/emfF0JlqPD0S5x0BFQw0ER

Click here to register voters at the Earth Day festival in Stockton on
Sunday.
http://values.workingassets.com/cgi-bin7/DM/y/emfF0JlqPD0S5x0BFQx0ES

*** Can't join us this weekend? Please forward this email to your
friends in and around the Bay Area -- especially anyone who speaks
Spanish -- who could help out at these events!!!