[Sosfbay-discuss] march and rally may 1-st

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 27 15:51:18 PDT 2006

  Here is a notice from the Diocese of San Jose giving details
on the time and location of a march and rally on May 1-st
as well as a statement of their positions on immigration.

* March and Rally*
Gathering at 3:00 pm at King and Story
March begins at 4:00 pm and will end with a Rally at
Arena Green Park at Santa Clara and Autumn

---- Full text -----

Attached is information in reference to the upcoming National Day of
Action for immigration reform on May 1-st . Flyers are attached with all
the details for March and Rally on May 1^st and also the Prayer Vigil
and Blessing on Sunday, April 30. Also attached are talking points from
the Human Concerns Commission of the Diocese of San Jose regarding the
events as well a Prayer. All these materials are provided in Spanish and
English. The information on the flyers is included below in case you are
not able to open the attachments.

*Please distribute this information and plan to attend. *

*Prayer Vigil and Blessing*

Gathering at 6:00 pm outside the Cathedral
With Procession to Cesar Chavez Plaza for a Candlelight
Vigil and Blessing of Workers and Tools

*March and Rally*
Gathering at 3:00 pm at King and Story
March begins at 4:00 pm and will end with a Rally at
Arena Green Park at Santa Clara and Autumn
----* *

*HUMAN CONCERNS COMMISSION
Diocese of **San Jose***

NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION FOR IMMIGRATION REFORM

May 1, 2006
Feast Day of St. Joseph

1. We stand in solidarity with the thousands of migrant workers in San
Jose and throughout our nation who demand just immigration reform on the
Day of the Worker, May 1^st .

2. We support comprehensive immigration reform that includes:

· Earned legalization for the undocumented and their families, a
temporary worker program and timely reunification policies;

· Restoration of due process protections for immigrants;

· Policy directions that address the root causes – so that migrants can
remain in their home countries and support themselves and their
families; and,

· Reform that does not include sanctions for those who provide
humanitarian aid for the undocumented.

3. We do not support a work stoppage, economic boycott, or students
leaving school.

· We invite people to use this opportunity to remember the important
role of workers in our community and to advocate for immigration reform
that is just and humane.

· We encourage students to attend school on May 1^st and to use this day
as a learning opportunity. We encourage teachers and administrators to
use the educational material available on the websites,
www.justiceforimmigrants.org <http://www.justiceforimmigrants.org/>,
www.archdiocese.la <http://www.archdiocese.la/> and other such materials.

4. In our Catholic tradition, May 1^st is the Feast Day of St. Joseph
the Worker, the patron of working people throughout the world.

5. In support of all workers in our community and in honor of the Feast
Day of St. Joseph the Worker, we are planning an Interfaith Vigil and
Blessing of Workers and Tools on the evening of Sunday, April 30^th .

6. In the spirit of St. Joseph the Worker, we encourage employees to
celebrate the Feast Day by remaining in their workplace on May 1^st and
to attend a rally and march organized by the San Jose Coalition for
Immigrant Rights in the afternoon after work.