[Sosfbay-discuss] One dollar, one vote, was [No great press out of Pennsylvania]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 13:07:27 PDT 2006

Tian Harter wrote:

<clip>

> I'm thinking there is one dollar one vote marketplace democracy.
> As in, "the electoral system is so spoiled by corruption that we
> have to speak with out dollars in the marketplace." It's based on
> old fashioned american values of independance, common sense
> and faith that the facts will speak for themselves eventually.

I think I agree that people should vote in the marketplace with
their dollars.  I say "I think" because I have not really thought
it out.  If everyone did that it might lead to those whose politics
were unpopular might have trouble surviving economically.  But as
I said I have not thought it out.

I would like to point out that part of the reason our democracy is
so sick is because practically speaking, our politicians are now
bought with money, not votes, so in a sense, the problem is that
our system now is one dollar - one vote, instead of one person
- one vote.

Gerry