[Sosfbay-discuss] No great press out of Pennsylvania

Erik Kiehle erik at kiehle.com
Tue Aug 1 16:39:27 PDT 2006

For those who remember me I was seriously interested in running in
2004 for State Assembly District 24. Long-time Assemblyman Joe
Simitian was termed-out and I thought it would be interesting to run
as a Green candidate in the Silicon Valley area where I grew up.

I filed the "Intention to File" paperwork that became public record
of my intention to run. I was getting a late start and realized I
would probably need to pay the Filing Fee instead of gathering
signatures. In then end I moved with my family just outside of the
district boundaries and therefore couldn't run in that district.

However, as the filing deadline approached I received calls from two
very determined persons interested in paying my filing fee for me to
get me on the ballot. Since the election had a very strong Republican
candidate (who spent millions of his own money), the race was won by
only 3.2 percent in the Democratic candidate's favor.

After reflection I realized that during the November 2002 election
the average vote for the statewide Green candidates was about 4.5
percent. It may not have made any difference in the AD 24 election
results but I had to think that for about $1100 filing fee donation
to my campaign, any Republican may have made it a very narrow margin
for that election.

I think the statistics in past elections (especially the recall
election) show that the Democrats are their own worst enemy. But, I
think it is a relatively cheap tactic for the Republicans to pay for
a 3rd party candidate's filing just to stir things up. I'm actually
surprised we haven't seen more Republican's changing party
registration just so they can try to draw off Democrat voters. (This
strategy could also be used in reverse where there are Republican
majorities though maybe with Libertarian candidate or other parties).
I'm not sure if there are any statistics of numbers reflecting how
often Republicans vs Democrats vote for Green party candidates.

Thanks,
Erik Kiehle