[Sosfbay-discuss] No great press out of Pennsylvania

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Wed Aug 2 13:00:09 PDT 2006

Wes Rolley wrote:

>> It occurs to me that if those people live green values the
>> Republican Party will be the better for thier efforts. If not, the
>> status quo meanders on....
>

> After working with the McCloskey campaign against Pombo, I will
> guarantee that there are Republicans for who the adjective "green" is
> an apt descriptor.  At the head of the list I would put McCloskey and
> Martha Marks.  Marks is the head of an organization named Republicans
> for Environmental Protection and very much involved in trying to
> return the Rebpublicans to their traditional positions where the word
> "conservation" was applied to the environment, not just power.

It was eye opening for me when I learned that in Sacramento the Audobon
Society and the Nature Conservancy are considered to be "Republicans",
meaning that their grass roots activsts were generally registered
Republican. I knew quite a few of those people, and I liked them for the
most part.

> I know that there are many who would criticize Christine Todd Whitman
> for her position on Nuclear Energy, however I don't think that anyone
> can find fault with her description of the current Republican Party.
> I quote two items from an interview with the Concord, NH Monitor.
>
> "We are being defined as a very narrow, mean-spirited, litmus-test
> party," she said yesterday. "And that's not the party in which I grew
> up."
>
> and -
>
> "With the national parties, it's gotten very, very partisan, so that
> any issue is looked at from the political perspective and not the
> policy ones," she told an audience of about 50 at a GOP luncheon at
> the Holiday Inn in Concord. "We need to be concerned about the fact
> that every issue is looked at through that prism."
>
> The latter comment applies equally to Democrats as well as Republican.
>
> Remember, over 30% of Republicans voted for McCloskey in the Primary.
> They are good people, your neighbors and mine.   The villification of
> "Repugnicans" in the rhetoric of the progressive blogs is not going to
> make it easy to attract them to better choices.  It only makes it
> harder to hold civil conversations.

Earlier today I wrote a letter to Environment California, reminding them
that Schwarzenegger and Blair had agreed to voluntary measures to curb
climate change. I told them that just about everybody in the green
movement is a volunteer on one level or another. (Does that make us
Tennesseeans?) I encouraged them to think of energy wasters as
"dinosuars from Michigan" or something like that. Maybe if we dice
things on a state by state basis instead of a partisan basis we'll have
better luck.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org