[Sosfbay-discuss] Now for something completely spiritual!

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 10:50:23 PDT 2006

A couple of points.  I'm really, really not enjoying that you Bob are
using my subject line to (what I interpret as) snipe at what you
apparently don't enjoy about aspects of how people misinterpret and
abusively apply the Bible.  Could you at minimum please change the
subject line and start a new thread?  Wouldn't it also be germaine to
ask whether other Greens want to recieve this discussion?

Secondly, could we change the course of the discussion so that it is
not just a pissing contest or a piss on your values contest?  What is
your underlying point in all this? If you want to complain about how
people misinterpret sacred scripture and misapply it and abuse each
other with it I'm in complete agreement that that happens in all faith
traditions and really in all of life.  I believe its because of the
aspect of human nature where we want to simplify our lives by figuring
out a simple formula and then apply it to every one else's lives around
us.  When you (Bob) want to say "The Bible is all bad" I see you as
making the same mistake - simple formula - apply it to everyone.

That downside of trying to control other people's lives via a
misinterpretation of the Bible (or other sacred scripture) is only one
aspect of what goes on however.  Do we need to go into the abundant
goodness that flows out of the copious wisdom of The Bible and other
faith's sacred scriptures?  Why can't we just take a live and let live
approach?  One of our 10 Key Values as Greens is 'Respect for
Diversity'
Why not apply that to those who wish to enjoy their love of The Bible
as well?

8. RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
We believe it is important to value cultural, ethnic, racial, sexual,
religious and spiritual diversity, and to promote the development of
respectful relationships across these lines.

We believe that the many diverse elements of society should be
reflected in our organizations and decision-making bodies, and we
support the leadership of people who have been traditionally closed out
of leadership roles. We acknowledge and encourage respect for other
life forms than our own and the preservation of biodiversity.

Love and Peace to all and A Million Votes for Peace!

Drew

--- Bob Alavi <baalavi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Women must not teach ...
>   http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/us_nm/religion_women_dc