[Sosfbay-discuss] Now for something completely spiritual!

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Wed Aug 23 11:08:29 PDT 2006

Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

>>Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: JamBoi <jamboi at yahoo.com>
>>To: Bob Alavi <baalavi at yahoo.com>, sosfbay-discuss at marla.cagreens.org
>>Subject: Re: [Sosfbay-discuss] Now for something completely spiritual!
>>

>>I COULD see the value in discussing (in a general way) how we as a
>>Green Party with our varying views (including those expressed here
>>between you and me) find ways to connect with 'mainstream' 'values
>>voters' such as Michael Lerner talks about in "The Left Hand of God", a
>>book I'm reading right now - extremely valuable I think for us Greens
>>to get a handle on.  But again it is not promoting or demoting
>>particular spirituality (though it does take aim a bit at The
>>Dominionists, which I see as more of a political movement manipulating
>>religious symbols than an actual spiritual movement).  So I'd want to
>>leave room to talk about things like that.  Does that work for you?
>>

>It seems to me that Dominionism is a natural effect of
>churches having wealth and political power.  Churches being
>like any other hierarchal organization, they attract
>self-righteous abusers of power.  The Mayans were afflicted,
>and the Egyptians had it really bad.  Dominionism burned "witches"
>at the stake to steal their land and suppress their medical
>technology.  Dominionism is older than written history.

The Aztecs had a thing where if the problem got too bad the
emporer (or whatever his name was) had to bleed from self
inflicted wounds as part of the ceremony praying for releif
from the poor harvest (or whatever the problem was).

My theory is that one of the things that made their system
work right was that the guy didn't want to do that, if you
see what I mean.

>I've read a couple of places that the majority of signers of
>the US Declaration of Independence subscribed to a religion
>with no holy text, no evangelism, no organization, and no clergy.
>It seems to me that wasn't a coincidence.  Separation of church
>from state is easier when there's no church.

Me, I'm working on the separation of oil and state.
I think of riding a bicycle as "praying for world peace".

--
Tian
http://tianharter.org