[Sosfbay-discuss] progressives and libertarians ... a match made in heaven?

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Wed Dec 20 00:14:29 PST 2006

In the Twenties, Thirties and Forties there was a succesfulwisconsin
Progressive party led by the La Follets.  Gaylor Nelson was a
Progressive until the party broke up. Then he joined the Democratic
Party. However, most joined the Republican Party. (The Democratic Party
was very weak at that time.)

Republican Leroy Gore, who started the "Joe Must Go" campaign to recall
Sen. Joe McCarthy, had been a Progressive.

I think a Progressive party, with a similar philosophy to the Green
Party, might have more potential for growth. Democrats would have less
reluctance to join. for one.

What d'y'all think?

Fred

  From a list in Vermont that includes Greens and Progressives.
(NOTE: Vermont has a Progressive Party that is bigger than
the Vermont Green Party, and has won some state legislature
seats.)

Gerry