[Sosfbay-discuss] Governing vs. Complaining

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Feb 1 14:02:24 PST 2006

I just had a chance to review a preliminary copy of an article that has
been submitted to the next issue of Green Focus by Roger Gray.  Roger is
a young Green in Pasadena and a member of the Transportation Commission
in his City.  The subject: Governing vs. Complaining.  It is one of my
favorite topics.  The difference is that quietly, without fanfare, Roger
is doing it.   He set a goal to have 6 Greens on Commissions in Pasadena
by the end of the year.  So far, the count is 3 and will be 4 within
another month or so. He wrote me  that "having found and minimally-
groomed a Green to replace me, I have asked to be moved on to Utility
Advisory"

Having spent time on the Parks and Recreation Commission in Morgan Hill,
I know how time consuming it can be.  However, it is a great place to
start injuecting Green Ideas into local government.

Below, is an announcement that Roger just sent out.

/A Green Invitation for You.../
/_______________________________________________
/

//

*

*
** *What if you could tell the government how to govern, /and they
listened/?

*
*What if, just once a month, you /got to be the government/? *
**
*What if you were /personally/ in a position to spread  Green ideas*
*  to the greater public at large?*

/Come find out how _you_ can turn your passion for a green lifestyle /
/and the Green Key Values into official local government action!/
//
/*Wild Thyme Restaurant*/
*/805 Fair Oaks Ave/ *
/*South Pasadena*/
/*Thursday, February 9, 2006*/
/*7:30-9:00 p.m.*/

YOU can be appointed to one of dozens of official citizen commissions
and committees that advise, direct, and sometimes decide how local
government operates.

No experience required, you don't even have to run for office!  Help us
get six new Green commissioners appointed by next Thanksgiving weekend.

City of Pasadena Commissioners Gregory Harrison (Human Services
Commission) and Roger Gray (Transportation Advisory Commission) will
talk about:

    * all the opportunities available,
    * how to get yourself appointed in three easy steps (or less),
    * and how even non-commissioners can greatly effect local decision
      making by talking to the existing citizen commissioners and
      committee members in the community.

For more information about the event, please contact Tera Little at
teralittle at att.net
<mailbox:///C%7C/Documents%20and%20Settings/wes/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/vct8t4os.default/Mail/mail.charter.net/Inbox?number=12108210>
or 626-403-1841. Please note: you are not required to buy food or drink
from Wild Thyme; however, menus will be available. We hope to see you
there!

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
http://www.refpub.com/
Tel: 408.778.3024