[Sosfbay-discuss] spiritual progressives (pardon me; this email is rather long!)

Roy thinkgreen at threeparty.org
Sun Feb 5 09:24:02 PST 2006

Eric, excellent and timely post and I couldn't agree more. I must add
that what goes around comes around and a lot of what I may say is
projection on my behalf, but I used to consider "spiritual" people weak
minded and religious people complete idiots. It was a type of pride in
intellectualism, an intellectualism I have sensed to be rooted at the
core of the "left" (projection?). I think a lot of this comes from an
understandable rejection of fundamentalism and anything associated with
it which for me had anything thing to do with a church, god or higher
power. I wasn't able to differentiate. However, now comes the Karma.. I
now have a personal belief system which includes what some may call
"gOD" and have gone through a period of being wary of being branded as
soft in the mind by those I used to relate to. That period is quite over
and I can only pity those whose only rudder is their intellect and
relegate their hearts, intuition etc to a place of inferiority. These
faculties are inferior because they have been labeled as feminine in our
society and there lies the crux of the problem. We have been shamed out
of our own saving graces.

I'm quite familiar with the work Rabbi Lehrner had done and was sent an
invitation quite early on to join. That letter had included a statement
concerning the violence of some of the Palestinians against the Israeli
occupation and was deploring the terrorism. I wrote a letter suggesting
that he reference at least Israel's terrorism (which was conspicuously
absent from his statement), specially in the creation of state of Israel
itself when making such remarks about Palestinians in the future. His
silence and his original statement told me all I needed to know about
him as an organizer so I declined membership. I suspect he's really a
closet Zionist though probably not able to admit it in that exact
context. I have a hard time listening to people who espouse animal
rights of any kind and still eat meat and I put Michael's refusal to
address Israeli terrorism specially (starting with the creation of the
state of Israel) as THE problem when it comes to Palestinian reprisals
in that same category. So while I don't want to flush the baby down with
the bath water, the baby better make some noise so I can find it. I'm
aware some people who I have a lot of respect for have joined Michaels
initiative and now you bring it up. Maybe there's a baby in there after
all :-)

I am quite interested in the development of the Spiritual aspects of
Politics and how it can be incorporated within the Green Party.

Namaste

Roy