[Sosfbay-discuss] Spiritual Progressives

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 12:37:04 PST 2006

Dear Eric,

My coincidence, the topic this morning at my church, Sunnyhills United
Methodist Church in Milpitas, was the question of "Progressive
Christianity."  Our guest speaker was Rev. Glenn Fuller.  He's retired
now, but he was the minister at Sunnyhills back in the early Sixties.
Fuller is a very distinguished clergyman who worked for many, many
years in Asia.  He was one of those visionaries from "The Greatest
Generation" during the civil rights era of the Sixties.

Having grown up in the Black church in the South in those years (what
Taylor Branch calls "the King years") I have never had a problem
squaring my faith with progressive, Green, and even "Lefty" values.
Without getting carried away, this might be yet another way to
differentiate ourselves from Democrats and Republicans who just want to
play cynical games about "values" they pretend to admire, but in fact,
despise.

By the way, Michael Lerner is going to be in Santa Cruz in a couple of
weeks.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
MICHAEL LERNER IN SANTA CRUZ, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH

Rabbi Michael Lerner, who the Washington Post once called "the guru of
the Clinton White House", will speak Thursday, February 16, at the
Veteran's Hall in Santa Cruz at 8 PM, introducing ideas from his new
book The Left Hand of God: Taking Back our Country from the Religious
Right. Tickets are $5-$20 donation, sliding scale, with no one turned
away for lack of funds. Purchase tickets in advance from the Resource
Center for Nonviolence (RCNV), 423-1626. Receive a free ticket when you
purchase the book from RCNV or Bookshop Santa Cruz. Tickets and books
will also be available at the door.

.  .  .

His visit will also inaugurate the newly-formed Santa Cruz County
chapter of the Network of Spiritual Progressives, the national
interfaith movement co-chaired by Lerner with Princeton
author/professor Cornel West and Benedictine Sister Joan Chittister.
The NSP works to unite Jews, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus,
and spiritual activists of broadly diverse practices/faiths, in social
and political action that expresses the core values of justice, peace,
nonviolence and environmental health found in all religions. His Santa
Cruz visit is cosponsored by the Resource Center for Nonviolence, now
in its 30th year working for these same values and commitments, and
Inner Light Ministries.

Alex Walker

P.S.: Many registered Greens in Santa Cruz.  Tian could probably pick
up some petiton signatures.