[Sosfbay-discuss] letter to the editor

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Fri Feb 17 10:20:42 PST 2006

letter to the editor of the Milpitas Post:

County Supervisor McHugh proposed a task force to strengthen ethics and
lobbying ordinances (Post 2/26/06).  I believe that trying to better
control the behavior of "evil" elected officials is a challenge beyond
his abilities.  Better he should work to get "good" people elected in
the first place.

Currently, we have a system of voting for the lesser of two evils,
instead of voting for the best available.  For example, in the 2000
presidential election, we got to vote for the lesser of two evils - Bush
or Gore.  Some of us who voted for Nader (who's generally considered
"good") were chastised for splitting the vote and allowing the worse of
two evils (Bush) to get elected.

I say, let's change the system.  Instand Run-off Voting (IRV) would
solve the problem.  Also known as "ranked voting", IRV would allow me to
rank Nader #1, Gore #2, and Bush #3 (actually I would have placed Bush
below Pat Buchanan).  Since neither Gore nor Bush got 50% of the vote,
votes for Nader would be discarded and the #2 votes counted.  IRV
encourages people to vote for the best available without hurting their
own interests.  IRV was recently implemented in San Francisco.  The
current system of winner-take-all benefits incumbents, whether state,
county or city.  One Milpitas City Council member has said that he loves
it when many people are on the ballot because they split the vote and he
wins easily.

Supervisor McHugh also overlooks the fact that the Culture of Corruption
in Washington results from our method of funding campaigns.  Senators
and Congressmen must raise thousands of dollars every day to pay for
their campaigns.  In that environment, a lobbyist like Jack Abramoff can
deliver piles of money in return for legislative votes.  Again, the
solution is simple and being used today in Maine and Arizona.  Let the
public pay for the campaigns!  Public financing is a small cost to
insure that 1) legislators are not beholden to special (i.e. monied)
interests, 2) every qualified person has a chance at election, not just
the rich and politically-connected, and 3) legislators are doing the
public's business, not wasting time raising money for their next
campaign.

The County already has the authority to implement IRV.  And the new
electronic voting machines give us the technical ability.  All that's
missing is a commitment to real change - instead of posturing for the
next campaign.

Rob Means, Electro Ride Bikes and Scooters
408-262-8975   rob.means at electric-bikes.com
1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
Discover cycling that's Easy, Safe, Fast - and FUN!