[Sosfbay-discuss] Quote for the Day: "If God did not wish you to be fleeced ... "

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 07:34:42 PST 2006

Dear Friends,

Here is your quote for the day:

"If God did not wish you to be fleeced, He would not have made you
sheep."

I was surfin' the Internet this morning in search of commentary about
Our Dear Great Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's long-awaited "move to
the center" in last night's State-of-the-State message (as a good Green
Party man, I don't buy the Democrat-Republican "bipartisan" bullshit
for one second).  After telling us the State of California was so
"broke" that widows, orphans, and old people needed to be thrown out on
the street and "illegal aliens" hunted down like dogs, the "bipartisan"
hackarama proposes a $222 billion public works program to buy votes in
the 2006 election.

Here is the quote in the context of an article about California Green
Party leader, Peter Camejo:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Excerpted From
"Recalling Camejo"
by Bruce Patterson, Anderson Valley Advertiser

.  .  .

A while back when California's "energy crisis" began picking my wage
money out of my wallet, I remembered that long ago rap by Peter Camejo.
Unregulated, profit-driven, free trade, dog-eat-dog capitalism is a
hustle. Elect politicians who promise to "unleash the productive
capacities" of the capitalists and they will always strangle the golden
goose; always turn a boom into a bust. It was the apprehension of this
elementary fact of life by most of my dad's and granddad's generations
that led to the election of FDR and the New Deal, the attempt to
introduce a bit of logic and to put a human face upon an economic
system that was, left to its own, mindless and inhuman.

As the Titans of California's newly "privatized" and "bankrupt" public
utilities were busy robbing me (they could have stole my wheels and
left me better off), I got to listen to an endless chorus of
professional journalists "people who know who butters their bread"
patiently explain to me how my money was actually getting sucked up
into the cosmic vacuum called "market forces," those nebulous, nuanced,
ephemeral episodes and "trends" that so confound the experts and are
therefore way beyond anything a rummy like myself should be worrying
about.

In other words, when with the collusion of bought politicians a roomful
of monopolists corner the market in electricity and heartlessly milk it
for all its worth, it's an act of God. As in, "If God did not wish you
to be fleeced, He would not have made you sheep."

.  .  .

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!

I love that line.

CAMEJO FOR GOVERNOR, 2006!