[Sosfbay-discuss] Clemency - and humanity - DENIED

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 11:40:16 PST 2006

O Andrea, Andrea, My Dear Innocent Child,

What we are struggling against here is exactly the sort of thing Hannah
Arendt wrote about in the "Origins of Totalitarianism."

We are literally struggling with a regime that based on terror.
Terrorism from below is when some scumbag sets off a bomb on a crowded
bus or marketplace.  We fear violence, but the "Terror" is the thought
of just arbitrarily being blown away with absolutely no connection to
being either "guilty" or "innocent."

The psychology is the same in a totalitarian state.  In the worst days
of the Soviet Union people got picked up and arrested for absolutely no
reason.  It's the same thing here.  The fact that Tookie Williams did
indeed have certain redemptive qualities was all the more reasons why
they had to execute him.