[Sosfbay-discuss] County GP Planning Meeting Saturday Afternoon July 22nd

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Jul 7 12:34:31 PDT 2006

> A GPSCC planning meeting has been scheduled for Saturday afternoon 1-4
> pm at
> 867 North 5th Street, San Jose.  This meeting has been long
> discussed.  Post your
> suggestions for discussion items to this list.  Warner

Subject: Local Issues / Local Candidates:

Background:

If you follow the thread of conversation on this list, you get the
impression that the Green Party is fully committed on the big national
issues:  Occupation of Iraq, Impeachment (connected to the Occupation of
Iraq), Immigration).

If the GPSCC is to build itself, there must also be engagement on local
issues: as Tip O'Neil famously said, "all politics is local."   This
comes and goes.  The local party has taken formal positions on saving
the Bay Area Research and Extension Center (BAREC), on the current
OpenSpace2006 initiation from PLAN.  We have supported some candidates
well (Stephanie in Mountain View last time) and other not so well
(Dennis Kyne for San Jose City Council).

Other Greens are fulling engaged in different project (e.g. Fred
Duperrault with PLAN) but without an obvious GP involvement.

On the otherhand, the Democratic Party is fully engaged in local
politics and reaps the benefit.  e.g. all five members of the Morgan
Hill City Council are Democrats.

Suggestion:

I suggest that the GPSCC start a process whereby we pay more attention
to local issues and local candidates.  Maybe it needs to be formalized
to the extent that the monthly meeting agenda would have regular /
discussion on important steps to take for local engagement.  I think
that this is worth discussion.  I believe that the goal is good, I am
not sure what the best process to execute on that goal is.

Subject:  County Council:

There are a lot of hard working people on the County Council.  Some
local activistss, like Warner and Cameron spend a huge amount of time on
Party activities.

I think that the GPSCC should identify potential council members,
actively develop them by giving them responsibilities.  I am not sure
what came of the discussion last night at the General Meeting.  But,
this needs attention to make sure that such events as the county council
dropping down to 2 elected members never happens again.

Subject: Campus Outreach

I firmly believe that we need to have a stronger connection to Campus
Greens.  That connection will make both organizaitons stronger.  Maybe,
there should even be a campus green "member" of the County Council.
Something.

Subject: Fundraising

There are several of fundraising that have some success.

One is a formal, direct solicitation, email, mail, etc.

Another is "event" fundraising.  I note that we do very little of this.
But, it could be fun.  At the last minute, I made a joking suggestion
about a "Green" event on St. Patricks day.  However, with some planning,
this might work out for us. Other opportunities might come up around
Earth Day, the summer and winter solstices, etc.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024