[Sosfbay-discuss] In case you hadn't heard....

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Fri Jun 9 00:40:35 PDT 2006

As I type this, the only suspense left in the Green Party Senate race
is right here in Santa Clara County. As I type this, the ROV site* says:

Green U.S. SENATOR 2006

Vote For 1

1115/1115 100.00%

Candidate Name  Vote Count    Percent

TODD CHRETIEN        432     39.38%
TIAN HARTER             429      39.11%
KENT P. MESPLAY     192      17.50%

Total                          1,097    100%

Whoever gets this ( I was behind by four votes this morning),
the statewide result** is going to look a lot like this:

    Todd Chretien      10,260   45.8
    Tian Harter             8,361   37.4
    Kent P. Mesplay     3,783   16.8

Four vote margins don't close that kind of gap.
I'm going to be second in the end. The writing is on the wall.

An interesting piece of analysis came to my mailbox from Gerry Gras.
He pointed out that if you removed San Francisco, Alameda,
and Los Angeles Countys you get a different statewide result.

LA:
    Todd Chretien                               1,276   43.2
    Tian Harter                                    1,104   37.3
    Kent P. Mesplay                               578   19.5

Alameda:
    Todd Chretien                               1,498   59.0
    Tian Harter                                       635   24.9
    Kent P. Mesplay                               410   16.1

SF:
    Todd Chretien                               1,571   64.7
    Tian Harter                                      564   23.2
    Kent P. Mesplay                               295   12.1

LA+SF+Alameda Countys:
    Todd Chretien                               4345
    Tian Harter                                    2303
    Kent Mesplay                                 1283

Rest of California:
   Todd Chretien                               5915
   Tian Harter                                    6058
   Kent Mesplay                                 2500

Unfortunately, those three Countys are the ones you
need to get into the media to reach voters in, and
I wasn't able to do that. I have therefore accepted that
my race is over. You can see my concession speech at:

http://TianHarter.org

Tuesday evening I had a better party than I was
expecting to be able to throw. See the pictures at:

http://tian.greens.org/MountainView/My/PrimaryParty/index.shtml

Tian Harter
* first footnote see:
http://www.sccgov.org/elections/results/june2006/