[Sosfbay-discuss] Any Thoughts on San Jose?

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 21:33:03 PDT 2006

Dear Green Friends,

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't read a single post here about San Jose
Mayor Ron Gonzales being indicted on 6 felony charges.

Any thoughts on this from Santa Clara Greens?

At the risk of sounding like a cynical politician, there ought to be
some way we can "spin" this to our advantage.

Should we attack him as yet another crooked Clinton-Davis Democrat?

Should we defend him as the target of yet another attempted coup d'etat
by the usual rightwing union-hating, "minority"-hating big business
interests?

At the very least, isn't it (yet another) example of the utter
bankruptcy of the Democrat-Republican system (doesn't anybody remember
how they were hailing this guy as a "great" mayor just a couple of
years ago?  Doesn't anybody remember Cisco Systems plan to turn Coyote
Valley into a big parking lot and how the Establishment hailed Gonzales
and his crew for shooting down all the environmental objections?)

If Gonzalez is a crook, then he is certainly no more of a crook than
Joe Coto, the guy who wrecked the East Side Union High School District
before this same San Jose Know-It-All Establishment gave Coto a
"Get-Out-of-Jail-and-Go-Free-to-Sacramento" card.

Alex Walker