[Sosfbay-discuss] Taliban

Bob Alavi baalavi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 11:55:29 PST 2006

Thank you for posting.

  I noticed the number "Billion of dollars of covert American Aid".  All I can say is some pockets were being lined with grease quite handsomely. (referring to figure "billions" -- Plural -- for Afghan Mujahedeen in 1980's in Afghanistan sounds very exaggerated )

  Rice just reccently suggested "$65M" to implement their designs on Iran; which at least in numbers and means is a much bigger bite than Afghan Mujahedeen.

  I know I may be comparing apples and oranges ... but "billions of dollars ???"  (Hint: 15 times the requested budget for Iran is only $1B)

  Then factor in the "$130 per month for a job in 1996 -- which is very high paying in today's Afghanistan" ... plus Bin Laden doing the job with $3 million in 1998  ... then put everything in a proper perspective for the 80's.

  Then you probably share my skepticism about the whole article or the point of it.

  ba

Wes Rolley <wrolley at charter.net> wrote:
  How many rember the young Taliban spokesperson who seemed to represent
them all through the West in those days just before and after 9/11. His
name was Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi. After the fighting died, he seemed
to have disappeared. Where was he? Pakistan with Mullah Omar?
Guantanamo? The surprising thing is that this year, he is a 27 year old
Freshman at Yale.

The full, long (12 page loads online) NY Times article is at
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/magazine/26taliban.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5087&en=5d3dc452dd9b0e7a&ex=1156741200&nl=ep&emc=ep

It is a very interesting read on the problems had getting here, those
that he has had adjusting and how he did in PLSC 145, Terrorism: Past,
Present and Future, with Prof. Douglas Woodwell.

Wes

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
http://www.refpub.com/
Tel: 408.778.3024