[Sosfbay-discuss] 1999: Diane Feinstein

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Fri Mar 17 14:16:04 PST 2006

Cameron,  Who submited this to the Sofsbay list?

I don't disagee with it, but would like to know who wrote it.

Thanks.  Fred

Who Dear Green Friends,

Whenever I am asked how I feel today about registering with the
California Green Party and supporting Ralph Nader in 2000,  I always
reply that *NOTHING* the Democratic Party leadership has done either in
Washington or Sacramento these last six years has changed my very low
opinion of the Democratic Party.

This week Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis) introduced a resolution to censure
President Bush.  California's senior DEMOCRATIC SENATOR -- the one who
is also running for reelection this year -- and also the one the entire
California Democratic Establishment pressured Cindy Sheehan not to
challenge, is not supporting Feingold.

Very well.

Now read this little gem pasted below from the World Wide Web and then
ask me again why I am a Green Party man.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = =
Posted on the Blog:
http://busybusybusy.com/b3_arc_06_0313.shtml#March13060130PM,
March 13, 2006.

A RESOLUTION INTRODUCE BY SENATOR DIANE FEINSTEIN
FEBRUARY 12, 1999

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) proposes a censure resolution in the
United States Senate. Her target is the president. She does not flinch!
And it must be over some really serious transgression, because the
Senator's anger is palpable. Consider:

* Whereas [the] president of the United States, deliberately misled and
deceived the American people, and people in all branches of the United
States government;

* Whereas [the president's] conduct in this matter is unacceptable for
a president of the United States, does demean the office of the
president as well as the president himself, and creates disrespect for
laws of the land;

* Whereas [the president] fully deserves censure for engaging in such
behavior;

* Whereas future generations of Americans must know that such behavior
is not only unacceptable but also bears grave consequences, including
loss of integrity, trust and respect;

Arg! In case you haven't figured this out yet, here's one more clue:

* Whereas WILLIAM JEFFERSON CLINTON, president of the United States,
engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate employee in
the White House, which was shameful, reckless and indefensible;

Yes, the year was 1999, the president was Bill Clinton and what he did
with a woman not his wife was so odious that the Democratic Senator
  from California felt compelled to introduce a resolution to censure him
over it.

Now Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) has proposed a resolution to censure Mr.
Bush for undermining the separation of powers and ignoring the rule of
law. And Sen. Feinstein's office says she has taken no position on this
resolution. Perhaps she needs time to ponder whether a Commander in
Chief who violates the constitution is as deserving of censure as one
who diddles a willing intern.

Constituents who wish to remind Sen. Feinstein of her previous
enthusiasm for presidential censure may contact her here (scroll to
bottom). And her California colleague, the likewise undecided Sen.
Barbara Boxer, might benefit from some voter input as well.

Update: A Timing Note.

Commenter markbernstein suggests that Sen. Feinstein's proposed censure
resolution against President Clinton should not be held against her
because it was offered as an alternative to impeachment. Alas, this was
not the case. A completely different censure resolution proposed by
House Judiciary Committee Democrats in early December 1998 was, in
fact, intended to substitute for impeachment (it was voted down in
committee). But the quotes above are from a resolution of censure Sen.
Feinstein attempted to introduce on February 12, 1999, after President
Clinton's impeachment had already ended in acquittal.