[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: Re: Tuesday Planning]

Roy thinkgreen at threeparty.org
Sun Mar 26 10:48:40 PST 2006

> As I've said, the key to getting coverage - something progressives often
> fail to do and then blame on "corporate" media (falsely in most cases, by
> the way) - is giving the media something to cover.

Uh..now you've pushed some buttons. You should have seen the lack of
coverage when Nader or Kucinich came to town and the media was
absolutely notified. The lack of coverage was a self fulfilling policy
and Nader even in light of the fact that he certainly was controversial
enough to cover...and of course if they did it was ONLY in the context
of spoiler.

I do agree though that in some cases it is the lack of effort on behalf
of the progressives. That's why a few years ago we tried to form a media
outreach program in Santa Clara and we are in the midst of creating a
progressive media group that will create programs that represent
progressive ideas and challenge the status quo

Ultimately if you think the media is just a lumbering monolith that
needs prodding to get the "word" out I would call that quite optimistic.
Not a view I share but on the sunniest of days.

By the way to all, Andrea I were included in this thread since there
seems to be a desire to look at the possibility of doing our own video
on this. I've got a pending (unconfirmed) event to shoot that day so at
the moment my answer would be I can't. However if Andrea (or I) can do
this, what would you (Gerry?) do with it?

Paz

Roy.