[Sosfbay-discuss] [usgp-media] Re: SF Chronicle editors explain why they barGreens from debates

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 21 08:27:11 PDT 2006

Thank you Andy, Cres, and Scott for sharing your experience!  I'm
really appreciating the quality of discussion that y'all are
contributing.

I've also been a reporter and editor, and PR person so I judge that my
experience and view point will provide similar value.

To a large degree I believe we need to play our hand quite differently
than we would if we were representing a Dem or Repub.  I think we are
not succeeding in getting the coverage we need with our present
strategy.  We are churning out marvelous press releases, but are they
getting written into stories and published?  No, I'm not seeing it
happen currently.

I think we need to operate in a very 'guerilla marketing' sort of way
to get media coverage.  I think we need to stir up the muck, create
some positive (for us) controversy that really throws a cold light on
the fixed nature of this political game.   Our conventional approach is
not getting us where we want to go IMO.

I suggest we would do well to define ourselves as the scrappy, bold,
irreverent party with a sense of humor.  Think of combining the early
and highly successful direct actions of Green Peace and the extremely
successful, highly influential current reign of the kings of political
humor, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.  I think we really need to
tweek the noses of some political sacred cows here.  I think we need to
be a little outrageous and a LOT creative to get coverage.  Playing it
safe is not working for us IMO.

So with that in mind if I get the chance in the next few days I'll
initiate "JamBoi's Anti-democratic Hall of Shame" (or some such title)
soon and try to stir up some blogospheric thunder and lightning v the
Chron on this incident.

A Million Votes for Peace!

Drew

JamBoi