[Sosfbay-discuss] LA Greens launch Petra Kelly Scholarships

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 11:18:11 PST 2006

This is very innovative!  Maybe we could work our way up to something
similar at some point.

A Million Votes for Peace!

Drew

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:07:18 -0800
From: Lisa Taylor <lisa at losangelesgreens.org>
Subject: [GPCA-MediaComm] LA Greens launch Petra Kelly Scholarships
To: gpca-mediawg at marla.cagreens.org

Thanks to Erin Schmidt for her great work promoting and coordinating
these scholarships!

The Los Angeles (City) Greens launched the Green Party Petra Kelly
Scholarship thanks to a generous donation from one of our members.
Honoring the inspirational German Green Party cofounder Petra Kelly,
international peace and environmental leader, and cultivating a new
generation of young activists, the scholarship awards $500 each to
two students graduating from the Los Angeles Unified School District,
to offset college expenses for the coming year. The Los Angeles
Greens chose to highlight our gender balance key value by selecting
one male and one female winner.

The scholarship's inaugural winners were Rumeisha Bowyer and Carlos
Hernandez. Bowyer graduated from the Los Angeles Center for Enriched
Studies and is currently attending Cal Poly Pomona. An avid
basketball player, she served as a coach and mentor to younger
players, as well as breaking the gender barrier in her community's
basketball league.

  At King/Drew Magnet High School, Carlos Hernandez sought to allay
the racial and cultural conflict in his community by serving as
Director of Assemblies and peer mediator. He hopes to continue
building dialogue among Los Angeles' many diverse groups while
attending the University of Southern California. Both Hernandez and
Bowyer attended LA Greens' events over the summer, sharing their
stories with local Greens while learning more about the Greens and
what we stand for.

In addition to providing these outstanding students with extra funds
to help with the costs of tuition, computers, and books, the Petra
Kelly Scholarship allows the Los Angeles Greens to share with the
young people of Los Angeles the Ten Key Values. The group plans to
throw an annual party to continue  funding  the scholarship each
year. The late Petra Kelly stated, "Greens are neither left nor
right--we are in front" -- by helping the next generation of leaders
attain their goals, the LA Greens are living up to her words.

http://losangelesgreens.org/

JamBoi
Jammy The Sacred Cow Slayer

http://dailyJam.blogspot.com