[Sosfbay-discuss] Draft Phone Script For Oct 3rd Candidates Program

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Mon Sep 18 13:35:35 PDT 2006

Thanks for the good phone calling script, Warner.

   For variety, I'm going to offer an additional one that callers could
choose if they wish. With these two samples, callers can pick and choose
and/or say it the way they feel would better get results.

Here's one way:

"Hello.  May I speak with _________________________________?"

When the targeted person or Voice Mail comes on:  "Hi, I'm
_________________, a Green Party volunteer, calling to invite you to
meet Candidate for Governor, Peter Camejo, who will be speaking at the
Mountain View special event, 'Meet the Green Party California
Candidates' on October 3.  Might you want to attend?

Pause, and listen to the response, and then continue with, "It's going
to offer a great opportunity to meet with statewide Green Party
candidates.  The Historic Adobe Building on Moffett Boulevard and
Central Expressway is where the event will be held."

 From there on, and maybe sooner, your conversation will probably be
more spontaneous, depending on how the person responds.

You could end something like this,  "It will (or 'would') be good seeing
you there.  Later, if you have any questions, just call Fred at
650-691-1215. If he's away, leave your name and phone number, and he'll
call you back as soon as possible."

We could also offer to mail a flyer if there was enough advance time and
if it seemed appropriate.

Fred

MODEL SCRIPT AND NOTES FOR OCTOBER 3RD
CANDIDATES PROGRAM TELEPHONE  CALLS

Below is a model telephone script to invite GPSCC members to the October
  3rd
Candidates Program at the Adobe Building in Mountain View.  This is an
outline for talking points, but remember to be yourself when you leave a
  voicemail
message or talk to someone.

Please keep track of all responses or non-responses and provide that
information
to Warner or Cameron (e.g., wrong number; moved; or volunteers
information).
This is an experiment to try to contact people who usually  don’t hear from
us.  **************************************************************
TELEPHONE  "SCRIPT" FOR CANDIDATES PROGRAM

Hello:  Is _ (Name of Person)_there (or at home)?

[If voicemail; start here after "Hello".]
I'm calling to invite [name  of person] to a Green Party at the Adobe
Building, 157 Moffet Boulevard, in  Mountain View, Tuesday evening,
October 3rd.

[Next: If talking to someone.]
Would you be interested in coming to this  program? [Continue or give
closing
information depending on response.]

[Next: If voicemail or another person is taking message.]
We would like  to see you at this event.  You can call us at 408-223-2784
or go to our  webpage at cagreens.org/sclara.

Answers To Some  Frequently Asked Questions:  (If you are asked a question
you can’t  answer, write it down and tell the person you will try to have
someone
call  back with the information.  Be sure to get the question, and
person’s
name
and telephone number to someone for the call back, or do it yourself  after
getting
the information.)

How did you get this telephone number?
Answer:  All political  parties are allowed to get a copy of
the registered voters list and use it  to contact its members.

What are directions to the Adobe Building in Mountain View?
The Adobe  Building is located near the intersection of Central Expressway
and Moffet  Boulevard (which becomes Castro Street near the Mountain
View Light
Rail and Cal  Train stations.

Where will there be parking?  Parking wiil be available in the parking  lot
across
the street from the Adobe Building on Moffett Boulevard and along  the east
side of that street.  There also is a small parking lot behind the  Adobe
Building.

When will the program start?  About 7 pm

Is there an admission charge?  No.  But we will be asking for  donations to
help
cover our rental expenses and to help support the  candidates.

When and Where are local meetings?  We have business meetings on the  first
Thursday of the month at 7:30 pm at the San Jose Peace Center 48 South 7th
Street just north of San Jose State University (but this schedule may
change).
We are also planning to begin start program and
discussion  meetings.

What else is the local Green Party doing?  We also table at farmers
markets
and community events to register voters and distribute our  literature.
  sk:
What kinds of things would you be interested in  helping with?]

What Green Party candidates are running in the November election?
There  are Green Party candidates for statewide offices as well as
Congressional  (CD),
State Senate (SD) and State Assembly (AD) candidates in some other
districts
--
Todd Chretian for U.S. Senate;  Peter Camejo for Governor;  Donna Warren
for
Lt. Governor;
Mike Wyman for Attorney General; Mehul Thakker  for Treasurer; Forrest Hill
for Secretary of State; Laura Wells for Controller;  Larry Cafiero for
Insurance Commissioner; Robert Vizzard
SD 4; Matthew Rick  SD 18; Cat Woods AD6 (Novato); Barry Hermanson AD 12
(San Francisco); David  Silva AD 34 (Tulare County); Ricardo Costa AD 44
(Pasadena);
Peter Thottham  AD53 (Mar Vista); Pamela Elizonda CD 1 (Laytonville); Jeff
Kravitz CD 5  (Sacramento); Kristine Keefer CD8 (San Francisco); Carol
Brouillet
CD 14 (Palo  Alto);
John Miller CD 21; Byron De Lear CD 28 (Sherman Oaks); William  Paparian CD
29 (Pasadena)

Tian Harter is running for Mountain View City Council.

What candidates are expected to speak at the program?  A number of our
state
office candidates, including Todd Chretian, U.S. Senate candidate, Peter
Camejo, the Green Party candidate for Governor, Carol Brouillet who is a
local
candidate for Congress, and Tian Harter who is a local candidate for
Mountain
View City Council.

What are Green Party positions on ballot measures on the November  Election?
Our local Green Party has endorsed the County Green Belt  Initiative.  The
state party
recommends NO on 1B, No on 83, No on 85,  Yes on 87 and No on 90.  It is
still developing its positions on other  statewide ballot  measures.