[Sosfbay-discuss] save coyote valley

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 13:30:48 PDT 2007

/An update - April 1, 2007
/www.savecoyotevalley.com
<javascript:ol('http://www.savecoyotevalley.com/');>
Save Coyote Valley on Myspace
<javascript:ol('http://www.myspace.com/170104309');>

To All Concerned,

In the past two months, a group of students, community members and
activists have come together to fight the proposed Coyote Valley
Development just South of San Jose. The Development would sit on fragile
riparian and wetland habitats, prime agricultural land, and what was
once the home of the Native Ohlone People. The area is also important
because it is habitat for many endangered species, and is a potential
wildlife corridor between the Santa Cruz Mountains and the Diablo Range
to the East.

Are we going to sit by and let the last stretch of what was once called
"The Valley of Heart's Delight" get paved over? The Coyote Valley
Specific Plan reflects a short sightedness on the part of our City and
County Leaders. There are areas of downtown San Jose that are dying,
there are segments of the community that are in need of support. The new
San Jose City Hall was built with over $100 million of taxpayer money
while community centers and hospitals have closed. There are plans to
develop over and gentrify the Berryessa Flea Market, a decades old
anchor for ethnic and lower income communities of San Jose. We should
not let our city develop based on money interests. Instead, we should
take the high road, preserve what open space we have left, continue to
develop with infill growth, and provide for the needs of our community.

We invite you to join us in our efforts to speak out against the current
trend of Development in the South Bay, and tell our civic leaders what
we think needs to happen in our community! Let's build a better, more
beautiful Santa Clara County together! Save Coyote Valley! We need your
help! if you are interested in getting involved, please e-mail us at
coyotevalley at inbox.com or call Mark Anthony Medeiros at (408) 607-1709

For more information, read on:

CALENDAR OF EVENTS - We Encourage you to participate

7PM - APRIL 4 - PLANNING MEETING TO SAVE COYOTE VALLEY: Interested in
getting involved? This Wednesday, you'll have a chance to get up to
speed about what's being done, and provide input on what direction this
group should take. All are welcome! The meeting will take place at the
San Jose Peace Center
<javascript:ol('http://www.sanjosepeace.org/home/index.html');>, on 7th
Street between San Fernando and Santa Clara Streets in downtown San
Jose. directions
<javascript:ol('http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype%3daddress%26amp;country%3dUS%26amp;addtohistory%3d%26amp;searchtab%3dhome%26amp;formtype%3daddress%26amp;popflag%3d0%26amp;latitude%3d%26amp;longitude%3d%26amp;name%3d%26amp;phone%3d%26amp;level%3d%26amp;cat%3d%26amp;address%3d48%2bSouth%2b7th%2bStreet%26amp;city%3dSan%2bJose%2b%26amp;state%3dCA%26amp;zipcode%3d');>

1PM, APRIL 14 and 28 - HIKES to COYOTE RIDGE: The Silicon Valley Land
Conservancy <javascript:ol('http://www.siliconvalleylc.org/');> is
offering free interpretive hikes to view one of the most diverse and
rare wildflower blooms in the Bay Area. This is your chance to view rare
plants and animals such as the Bay Checkerspot Butterfly, Tule Elk, and
Burrowing Owl and get a good view of Coyote Valley.  The trip is 2.5
miles long with 900 feet elevation gain, and will last from 1-5pm. April
14 and April 28 are special dates reserved for South Bay students and
those interested in Coyote Valley, and will be led by SJSU students Mark
Anthony Medeiros and Megan Fluke. To reserve your spot, call (408)
260.3043 or e-mail rebecca.svlc at gmail.com

5:30PM, APRIL 16 - COYOTE VALLEY TASK FORCE MEETING: The Coyote Valley
Task Force is a group of community stake holders that will interpret the
upcoming Environmental Impact Report and are gathering input from the
local community. It is important that AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE attend
all Coyote Valley Task Force Meetings, so that we can make our presence
known and have our feelings about the development on public record. The
CVTF meeting takes place in rooms 118-120 at San Jose City Hall at 4th
and Santa Clara Streets Downtown.

6:00PM, APRIL 19 - COMMUNITY MEETING AT COYOTE CREEK GOLF CLUB: This is
one of several "community meetings" scheduled to gather feedback from
South Bay residents about the development. Coyote Creek Golf Club is off
of Coyote Creek Golf Drive, on 101 between SJ and Morgan Hill. Arrive on
time, because registration is at 6pm!

Other News - For those of you who want to know

HOPE: A few of us attended the last Coyote Valley Technical Advisory
Committee Meeting (TAC). There were representatives from several
agencies expressing concern about parts of the Coyote Valley Specific
Plan that don't make sense. VTA said that there isn't public money to
fund all the public transportation that developers are promising, others
pointed out that this ideal, "live-able, walkable community" does not
have the triggers in place to insure that jobs and housing will come at
the appropriate times. Between these issues, the problem of moving
industry into an area that is supposed to have much less parking than a
conventional development, and other environmental issues, the Coyote
Valley Plan is a lot of empty promises. As one activist put it, "This
project has no feet."  If we can organize, attend public meetings, and
get our voice out in the press, we believe we can really change the
direction on this issue, but it has to be done quickly!

PETITION: A petition has been drafted, and right now we organizers are
trying to decide exactly which demand we want to make, and who we should
target. Once it is finished, we will need help collecting signatures as
quickly as possible, so that we can show the city council, mayor, and
county supervisors there is broad support of preserving Coyote Valley.

INFORMATIONAL NIGHT - EARLY MAY: We are planning an informational night,
scheduled for early May, where community members can learn about the
natural history of Coyote Valley, the EIR process, how they can get
involved. If you would like to help with this event or have resources
you'd like to offer, please contact us.

HELP: A lot has been done, but we desperately need more support from
community members and students. Additional manpower is needed to collect
signatures, plan an upcoming informational night, work on our websites,
and other outreach activites. If you are interested in getting involved,
please e-mail us at coyotevalley at Inbox.com or call Mark Anthony Medeiros
at (408) 607-1709

*Support the Truth
www.denniskyne.com <http://www.denniskyne.com/>**
www.sonicbids.com/denniskyne <http://www.sonicbids.com/denniskyne>**