[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [SBM] Happy Earth Day, April 22nd, Happiness Is a Smaller Eco-Footprint]

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Sun Apr 22 13:08:16 PDT 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[SBM] Happy Earth Day, April 22nd, Happiness Is a Smaller
Eco-Footprint
Date: 	Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:22:30 EDT
From: 	Vidagol at aol.com
To: 	sbm at lists.riseup.net

*PEACE BE ON EARTH*

*IN THIS EMAIL: Earth Day* -- (1) History (2) Issues Of  Concern (3)
What Can We Do (Our Enviromental Responsibility)
(4) Happiness Is a Smaller Eco-Footprint

*************************************
* HISTORY/ BACKGROUND*
**************************************

"on April 22, 1970, *Earth Day was held, one of the most remarkable
happenings in the history of democracy "  -American Heritage Magazine,
October 1993 *

*_How the First Earth Day Came About:_* By Senator Gaylord Nelson
<http://www.wilderness.org/profiles/nelsonbio.htm>, Founder of Earth Day

Actually, the idea for Earth Day evolved over a period of seven years
starting in 1962. For several years, it had been troubling me that the
state of our environment was simply a non-issue in the politics of the
country. Finally, in November 1962, an idea occurred to me that was, I
thought, a virtual cinch to put the environment into the political
"limelight" once and for all.  More
http://earthday.envirolink.org/history.html

* SOME ISSUES OF CONCERN *

**1* _Global Warming: Earth Under Fire_*

_Learn the Facts:_

** CLIMATE CHANGE IS HAPPENING NOW: Human beings have changed the ratio
of gases in our Earth's atmosphere. Since Industrialization the level of
CO2 (carbon-dioxide) has spiked up dramatically. The global weather
system is immensely vast and complex, but life is being adversely
impacted _now_. Within as little as 10 years we could trigger another
ice age (beginning in Europe) and/or within 20-50 years sea levels could
rise high enough to claim millions of lives.
More: http://www.earthdayenergyfast.org/science.html

** UN Efforts: http://www.ipcc.ch/present/graphics.htm

** A beginner's guide to understanding the issue of global warming.
http://www.whrc.org/resources/online_publications/warming_earth/index.htm

** 10 MYTHS about Global Warming.
http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/actions.html

**2* _Water Crisis: World Water Supply Is Dramatically Decreasing_*

** While the world's population tripled in the 20th century, the use of
renewable water resources has grown six-fold. Within the next fifty
years, the world population will increase by another 40 to 50 %. This
population growth - coupled with industrialization and urbanization -
will result in an increasing demand for water and will have serious
consequences on the environment.  More:
http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/index.php?id=25

** Water is one of our most critical resources, but around the world it
is under threat. http://www.worldwater.org/data.html

** *Water* policy topics and transboundary handled by International
intergovernmental and NGO network. www.*worldwater*council.org/
<http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/>

**3* _Uncontrolled Urbanization & Industerialization:_* *_Species
Die-Offs  & Loss Of Habitat_*

A large portion of the world is becoming more and more urbanized as time
progresses. By 2025, east Asia is estimated to be 63% urbanized, Latin
America 85%, and Africa 54%. Unless the right steps are taken to control
suburban growth, many more populations and species are going to
disappear under the concrete slabs of a city in the next half-century.
More: http://library.thinkquest.org/25014/why/indirect.habitat.html

***********************************
* WHAT CAN BE DONE?** *
*************************************

**1* _Say No To Genetic Engineering_*

While scientific progress on molecular biology has a great potential to
increase our understanding of nature and provide new medical tools, it
should not be used as justification to turn the environment into a giant
genetic experiment by commercial interests.  More:
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/genetic-engineering

**2* _Explore Organic Food_*

Most people are aware that organically grown food is free from exposure
to harmful chemicals, but that is only one small part of what organic is
about.
A larger part of organic agriculture involves the health of the soil
<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Enesare/slides/sld001.htm> and of the ecosystems
in which crops and livestock are raised. More:
http://www.localharvest.org/?lat=37.7747&lon=-122.421295&scale=1
<http://www.localharvest.org/?lat=37.7747&lon=-122.421295&scale=1>

**3*  _Tips to save energy._*
http://www.epa.gov/earthday/tips-saveenergy.htm

**4*  _Tips to use water efficiently._*
http://www.epa.gov/earthday/tips-water.htm

**5*  _Tips to Reduce / Reuse / Recycle._*
http://www.epa.gov/earthday/tips-reduce.htm

**6** _ *15 Very Important Things to Do about Global Warming.*_* ** *
http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/actions.html

**7* _Be a Green Teacher: Education for Planet Earth_.**
*http://www.greenteacher.com <http://www.greenteacher.com/>

*TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A GREEN DIFFERENCE*

Published on Sunday, April 22, 2007 by Inter Press Service
<http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=37439>
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/04/22/678/
*Earth Day 2007: Happiness Is a Smaller Eco-Footprint**

*by Stephen Leahy

BROOKLIN, Canada - Today’s children will live in a new world of climate
change and greatly diminished natural resources, which may give way to a
nightmarish reality, or it could give birth to a happier and lighter way
of living on the Earth, say environmentalists.The scientific evidence
for environmental troubles — from rising sea levels to species
extinction to desertification — sends a clear signal that we are running
into the limits of spaceship Earth to support us as it has for millennia.

“This world is ending; we need to lay the foundations for a new world,”
says Alice Klein, a magazine editor and documentary filmmaker in
Toronto. “We have a great opportunity to make a better world,” she told
IPS.Klein’s film “Call of the Hummingbird”, to premiere on Earth Day —
Apr. 22 — at Toronto’s Hot Docs film festival, tracks the 13 days when
some 1,000 teachers, eco-activists, farmers, Mayans, Rastafarians,
holistic health-workers, non-governmental organisation executives,
student leaders from all over Latin America and a few from Europe and
North America camped out together in central Brazil in 2005.Their
purpose was to live on the land and co-create a temporary peace
eco-village in harmony with nature and each other.It wasn’t easy or
harmonious.

There were problems with garbage, sanitation and, not surprisingly given
the diversity of their backgrounds, simply getting along with each
other.“There is very little training or study in our formal education
systems about conflict resolution and how to get along with each other,”
says Klein, noting that, instead, we are constantly exposed to violent
and conflict-ridden programming in our media.Another fundamental issue
in modern culture is separation from nature,” she says. “We don’t see
that we are connected to the natural world.”

With more people living in cities than in rural areas for the first time
in human history, the delusion of separation is likely to worsen.A
recent scientific study found that more children knew the characters of
the video game Pokemon than could recognise an oak tree or an otter,
according to the Ecological Society of America, a Washington DC-based
organisation of 10,000 ecological scientists.Visits to national and
state parks in the United States have declined by as much as 25 percent
in the last decade, while kids remain indoors watching TV and playing
computer games. And yet there is ample evidence that children who
connect with nature perform better in school, have higher academic
testing scores, exhibit fewer behavioural challenges, and experience
fewer attention-deficit disorders, the ESA said in a recent statement.

The organisation is promoting the *“No Child Left Indoors”* campaign to
challenge all citizens — young and old — to take a child into the
natural world for a shared educational experience on or around Earth
Day.There is also ample evidence that more material things — toys,
games, computers, TVs, designer clothes — do not make children or adults
happier, says Sam Thompson, researcher at the New Economics Foundation
(NEF), an environmental think tank in London.“People in many Latin
American countries report that they have a very good quality of life but
use only a fraction of the resources that Europeans or Americans do,”
Thompson said in an interview.The foundation has compiled data about the
ecological footprint, life-satisfaction and life expectancy for people
in countries around the world to develop what it calls the *“**Happy
Planet Index”. *

This index reflects the average number of years of contented living
produced by a nation or group of nations, per unit of planetary
resources consumed.In other words, the Happy Planet Index reveals the
efficiency with which countries convert the Earth’s finite resources
into well-being experienced by their citizens.

The people of the United States and Germany are at the same level of
happiness and life expectancy, but the U.S. population uses far more
resources and is thus much less efficient at producing satisfaction.

*“The evidence is unequivocal that a focus on materialistic lifestyle
makes people less happy,”* Thompson said.

The most efficient, according to the index, is the economically poor
Pacific Island nation of Vanuatu.*“The index clearly shows that you can
have a better quality of life with less use of resources,” *he said.

However, despite these facts and decades of talk about sustainability,
all economies are still based on the concept of endless growth.

Advertising and media in most cultures continue to define personal
success as having more and bigger stuff.Economies have to change
radically, but we have yet to figure out how, said Thompson.In all of
this, avoiding despair about the future is crucial, especially for young
people, says Nic Marks, head of NEF’s centre for well-being.“The things
that bring us joy or happiness and a good life don’t have to cost the
Earth,” Marks told IPS.

Things that make us truly happy are our relationships, using our skills
and strengths to meet challenges or participate in exciting activities
and doing things in our own way. Meeting the challenge of
de-materialising our economics and lifestyles can be done in a fun way,
he says.The future life of today’s children will be different from their
parents’ generation but it isn’t happiness or well-being or even comfort
that is at stake. Life will just be different and possibly much better
if the young and their parents become engaged with the exciting
challenging changes, according to the NEF experts.“Use your skills and
strengths to be part of the solution,” says Marks.

Copyright © 2007 IPS-Inter Press Service.

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org