[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [usgp-media] Aimee Allison's new book: Army of None (fwd)]

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Fri Aug 17 21:44:37 PDT 2007

Subject: [usgp-media] Aimee Allison's new book: Army of None (fwd)
From:    "Scott McLarty" <scottmclarty at yahoo.com>
Date:    Fri, August 17, 2007 19:56
To:      usgp-media at gp-us.org
         natlcomaffairs at green.gpus.org
         dcsgp at yahoogroups.com

>From Aimee Allison <armynone at gmail.com>, former
Green candidate in Oakland, California....

Dear Friends,

I’m pleased to announce that my new book Army of
None, co-authored with David Solnit, is now
available!

Please come to our August 30th book release party
in Oakland – we’ll be celebrating the start of
our 40-city tour to support antiwar efforts
across the nation. More details about Army of
None and the tour are below.  Please join the
effort to protect our young people from the
devastation of war and militarism.

Sincerely,

Aimee

Army of None
Strategies to Counter Military Recruitment, End
War, and Build a Better World

Now Available from Seven Stories Press
or your local bookseller!  Tour updates at
http://www.myspace.com/armyofnonebook

People Are Saying...

"Army Of None is published at a pivotal moment in
the peace movement." read more

"Army of None is a manual for opponents of the
Iraq war who want to cut off its supply of
cannonfodder
it provides a fascinating
deconstruction of military recruiting mindgames."

About Army of None

Uniformed US Army Officers lunch with students in
elementary school cafeterias. Army training
programs including rifle and pistol instruction
replace physical education in middle schools.
Like never before, military recruiters are
entering the halls of US schools with unchecked
access in an attempt to bolster a military in
crisis.

However, even as these destructive efforts to
militarize youth accelerate, so do the creative
and powerful efforts of students, community
members, and veterans to challenge them. Today,
the counterrecruitment movement--from counseling
to poetry slams to citywide lobbying efforts--has
become one of the most practical ways to tangibly
resist US policy that cuts funding for education
and social programs while promoting war and
occupation. Without enough soldiers, the US
cannot sustain its empire.

Army of None exposes the real story behind the
military recruitment complex, and offers guides,
tools, and resources for education and action,
and people power strategies to win.

Counter recruitment is one of the most compelling
and effective parts of the anti-war movement
today. On July 9, ABC News reported that the Army
has fallen short of its recruiting goals for May
and June by almost 17%. (Read the full article
here), a testament to both the movement's
effectiveness and the unpopularity of this war.

Read excerpts from the book!
http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=157827449&u=1544969

Army of None National Tour

Aimee and David will be traveling to 40
communities from September through January -
visit their Myspace page for frequent updates.
Contact Jen Angel to schedule a presentation,
workshop, or performance.