[Sosfbay-discuss] Jim's Comments RE: Bylaw proposal for Regional Representatives Election

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Sun Dec 2 18:49:23 PST 2007

Comments inline.

Jim

Drew Johnson wrote:
> Here's another try on harmonizing our bylaw's style and Warner and
> Jonathan Lundell's proposed alternative election process for Regional
> Representatives.  Please send your comments.
>
> The only significant question I have is about the the stipulation in 9.5
> that if the counties come to different decisions we would retake the
> decision until agreement is reached. I guess my question is whether we
> would want to delegate to the County Councils the ability to sort it out
> since otherwise it could potentially stretch out the process for some
> months given the requirement to have additional RR Election Meetings until
> agreement is reached.
>

> Green is Life!
>
> Drew Johnson
> GP of Santa Clara Co Councilor
>

> ______
>
> ARTICLE 9   ELECTION OF REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVES (RR),
> ALTERNATES
>
> 9.0   Definitions in GPCA bylaws
> Regional Representation on the GPCA Coordinating
> Committee is defined by the GPCA bylaws, sections 6, 7
> and elsewhere.  This bylaws article constitutes an
> alternative election process as provided for in the GPCA
> bylaws section 7-1.5.

That should be "...Articles 6, 7 and elsewhere."

> 9.1 RR Election Meeting
>     The terms ‘RR Candidate Presentation Meeting'
> and ‘RR Election Meeting‘ in these bylaws shall be
> qualified only if the following requirements are met:

I don't understand this concept of qualifying terms used in the bylaws. The
conditions of this qualification sound like it's qualifying the election
itself, which would make sense.

If that's the case, then...

"RR election meetings are considered valid if they meet the following
conditions:"

>     1) the election is authorized and called by the
> County Council
>     2) the meeting is open to all county party Members
> and all Members present can vote in the election,
>     3) the election has been publicly announced on
> county party email lists at least 15 days in advance of
> the election meeting
>     and
>     4) where the RR Election is a preannounced agenda
> item for the meeting.
>
> 9.2 Declaring Candidacy
>      Candidates shall declare their candidacy on
> the email lists of the counties of the region
> prior to the RR Candidate Presentation Meetings at
> which a vacancy or replacement is considered.  Note also
> that the state bylaws stipulate that N.O.C. (“No Other
> Candidate”, AKA "None of the Above") shall be considered
> an acceptable candidate.

I have no problem adding NOC or NOTA. But the election method isn't
specified in this article. This clumsy sentence can be removed if my
suggestions for 9.3 & 9.4 are accepted.

> 9.3  RR Candidate Presentation Meeting
>      The RR Candidate Presentation Meeting agenda item
> will include time for the candidates to present
> themselves in person to describe their qualifications,
> goals, and to answer questions.
>
> 9.4 RR Election Meeting
>      Election of a representative will be a decision
> item at a qualified RR Election Meeting that follows
> the RR Candidate Presentation Meeting.

If 9.3 and 9.4 are requiring two special meetings for this election, I have
a strong concern. Special meeting are an imposition, and turnout is usually
low. I see no reason why this can't be a part of our regular meeting.

Suggestion:

9.3 Presentation and Election Meetings

The RR election process may be conducted as part of the regular monthly
meetings of the GPSCC. Alternately, a special meeting may be called if so
decided by the county council.

Candidates shall present themselves to the electorate at a valid meeting.
This presentation shall be at a meeting that precedes the meeting where the
voting occurs.

9.4 Election Process

This election process assumes this region is allocated one representative.
This section shall be amended if the allocation is increased.

The Regional Representative and Alternate Representative shall be chosen by
separate votes. The Regional Representative shall be chosen first.

In an election where there is only one declared candidate, the decision
shall be made in accordance with Article 5 of these bylaws. Regional
Representative elections shall be deemed a business decision.

If more than one candidate has declared their candidacy, the election shall
be conducted using Instant Runoff Voting, with section 7-1.9 of the GPCA
bylaws as guidance.

> 9.5 Regional Coordination
>      A candidate must be approved by all of the
> county parties of the region.  If different candidates
> are approved by the county parties the decision(s)
> shall be retaken by the county parties until agreement
> on candidates between the county parties is reached.
>
> 9.6 Representational Balance in the Region
>      It shall be an objective to have the Regional
> Representative and the first Alternate Regional
> representative be from different counties
> wherever possible.
>
> 9.7 Replacement or Recall
>      A Regional Representative or an Alternate
> Regional Representative may be replaced or recalled
> using the same process for election described here.
>
> 9.8 Effective Date
>     This amendment, Article 9 of the by-laws shall
> take effect on its date of passage in substatially
> the same form by all county parties in the region.
> Upon adoption, the County Council from each county
> party shall separately and independently
> notify the GPCA of their bylaws amendments adding
> this alternative election process to the default
> procedures provided by the state Green Party Bylaws.

The first sentence needs to be clearer:

This amendment, Article 9 of the bylaws, shall take effect after formal
approval by the GPSCC, and after bylaws of substatially the same form have
been adopted by all counties in the region.