[Sosfbay-discuss] Cynthia McKinney announces bid for the presidency

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Sun Dec 9 03:36:08 PST 2007

Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:22:09 -0600
Subject: [usgp-dx] Cynthia McKinney announces bid for the presidency

Cynthia McKinney announces bid for the presidency
by DAA''IYA L. SANUSI

http://www.amsterdamnews.com/news/Article/Article.asp?NewsID=84522&sID=4

/Special to the AmNews/
Originally posted 12/7/2007

Cynthia McKinney was the keynote speaker for the 12th Dr. Donald H.
Smith Distinguished Lecture Series at Baruch College on Wednesday,
November 28, presenting to an equally noteworthy audience.
"She didn't mention it in her talk, but the Honorable Cynthia McKinney
has agreed to be the candidate for the presidency of the United States
on the Green Party ticket," Dr. Donald H. Smith broke the news at the
end of the former congresswoman's speech.

"The Green Party has always supported my candidacy, even when I was in
the Georgia legislature," she said. "Members of the Green Party were
supportive of my efforts then, when nobody thought that I could run and
win. Members of the Green Party were a part of the volunteers that put
me into the state legislature, and when I ran for Congress over the
years, members of the Green Party would come to Georgia and volunteer in
the campaign.

"They [the Green Party] first asked me in 2000 and again in 2004 to
become a part of their national drive. With the Democratic Party having
left so many of its base supporters behind, the appeal of the Green
Party was one that I could hear," explained McKinney.

"It will take more than 43,000 signatures for the Green Party to get a
ballot line in the state of Georgia, which is something we're going to
work very hard to achieve. I have a lot of support in Georgia, and I
would love for them to vote Green in support of the key values the party
has always had---economic justice, environmental justice, public
policy---for the good of the future, not just the term of election."
McKinney went on to say, "People know me as one who places great value
on human rights, on justice at home and justice abroad, on peace, and
sound fiscal practices for our country, so that we're not losing $2.3
trillion and raising the debt limit while incessantly borrowing and
spending that money on illegal wars."