[Sosfbay-discuss] UN Climate Change Conference-Feinstein on finalnegotiations

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sun Dec 16 08:57:50 PST 2007

Tian Harter wrote:
> According to the site in the URL at the end of that video, they did
> reach some sort of agreement in the end:
>
> http://unfccc.int/2860.php

Everyone will call this a victory, but if it is, it is a very hollow
one.  It was an agreement to continue talking for another two year and
to reach some sort of actionable plan before 2010,.

That is two years in which we will have continued to build up the
surplus of Green House Gases.
That is two years in which  US Government can swathe it's inaction and
play Alphonse / Gaston with China.
That is two years in which the lack of American Action will increase the
enmity that we have engendered throughout the world.
That is two years in which even a change in Administration, e.g. to a
Clinton Compromiser or an Obama Dreamer, will continue to tringulate
deals that allow multi-national corporations to continue screwing the
planet or to move their operations to countries whose government
regulators are more easily bribed.

I would suggest that everyone browse through the blog entries that
Andrew Revikin has called for on his Dot Earth blog at the NY Times.
Voices on Bali and Beyond
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/voices-on-bali-and-beyond/>
is a collection of comments from people who were actually there.  Here
is a quote from the first responder, Dr. Thomas J. Goreau, the delegate
from Jamaica, and representative of a Coalition of Caribbean nations:
His target was the EU for its failure to stand up to the US stalling
tactics.

> This amounts to a real betrayal of all those who counted on the EU to
> do the right thing, and amounts to a *capital crime against the
> environment,* because millions will die as the result of unchecked
> global warming.
If there is a single issue that the Green Party needs to be very clear
about, it is the one of Climate Change. What we do now, not what we
begin to do in 2010 will have an effect on:
- agricultural policy a swarming weather makes major changes to what can
be grown where and how much food might each country have to import or be
able to export as a result.
- trade policies as competition for declining reserves of food and
water, the basic essentials of life, make countries increasingly
protectionist.
- energy policy unless we take aggressive steps to get off of fossil fuels.
- security as increased frustration with US arrogance sends an
increasing flow of people towards Al Qaeda or other organizations.
- health care as diseases once considered tropical become increasingly
prevalent in the more highly populated, currently temperate zones.

Have we come so far from our roots as a party that we are not the
leaders in speaking out? *
*

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024