[Sosfbay-discuss] Requirements for Working Groups in 2007/8

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Feb 8 08:38:34 PST 2007

The initial budget submissions for GPCA working groups have been
compiled and should have been submitted.  From what I have seen, there
are three problems with the process:
- none of the tasks that defined arose from County Council input.  This
might be reasonable with GROW, since one of their "tasks" is to assist
the organization of new counties or to help revitalize counties that
seem to have fallen apart.
- the total amounts requested far exceed the total party income.
- the amounts requested are not tied to specific, achievable goals.

Since I am involved with two Working Groups (GROW and Green Issues) I
want to solicit input from Santa Clara County Greens as to what they
would want to see these two groups accomplish.

Green Issues Working Group (GIWG): (http://www.cagreens.org/giwg/)

According to the bylaws of GPCA, the _Goals_ of the Working Group include:

    * To identify current issues and events for which the GPCA has no
      position;
    * To sponsor resolutions on current issues to be passed by the GPCA
      Plenary body, when appropriate;
    * To sponsor debate of issues that may impact the platform;
    * To interface with the Platform Standing Committee
      <http://www.cagreens.org/platformsc/> and with candidates who are
      running for office as Green Party members, as appropriate;
    * To build coalitions with other organizations.

In the past year, Green Issues has expended the most energy on health
care reform, supporting the minimum hourly wage initiatives and on
genetically modified organisms.  The level of success greatly varied.

It seems to me that the greatest energy in the Santa Clara County
organization is being spent on anti-war efforts, the impeachment
movement and in helping to put together a county wide health care
coalition.

What actions do you required (desire) from GIWG in support of local goals?
What areas do you believe that GIWG should address for the very reason
that no one else is devoting enough (any) energy to them right now and
that they are "important"?

Grassroots Organizing Working Group (GROW): (http://www.cagreens.org/grow/)

The Mission of GROW is:
*
*To facilitate coordination and communication between local Green Party
organizers and groups; and to provide resources for collaboration, skill
sharing, and training in order to promote the strategic growth and
diversity of the Green Party of California.

Past efforts have been focused on party literature and providing
assistance to locals and / or county councils during their startup. The
biggest part of the GROW budget is spent on Green Focus newspaper and
the newspaper reports through GROW.  Editor, Don Boring, participates
regularly in every GROW meeting and telecon.

What additional requirements does the GP-SCC have for GROW?
What things would you like to see done in a different manner? (e.g. one
suggestion has been to provide Green Focus in Spanish.)

I would hope that I can get some responses to this so that I can help
guide the mandatory budget discussions in these two groups toward
necessary and achievable objectives.

--

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.