[Sosfbay-discuss] letter to editor of the Milpitas Post

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Thu Feb 8 09:25:06 PST 2007

Isn't it time President Bush and his cohorts were impeached?  Their
corruption, and that of the complicit Republican Party, has been evident
for years.

Although we could argue that his disregard for global warming,
international law and the Iraqi people are grounds for impeachment,
let's stick with the core issues: 1. Illegal spying; 2. Lying us into
war; 3. Illegal  detention, torture, and expansion of executive
authority over both other branches of government. 4. Repudiation of
constitutional constraints on executive authority (see his signing
statements which declare his right to continue illegal spying, illegal
detentions and torture).  For details, see Center for Constitutional
Rights:
www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp

Our elected officials are sworn to uphold the Constitution.  They
dishonor that oath by allowing this President to continue violating the
Constitution.

Naturally, we think the U. S. Congress should take the lead on
impeachment.  Allowed to, Rep. John Conyers of the House Judiciary
Committee would do so promptly.  But Nancy Pelosi says that impeachment
is off the table. So, how do we the people get it on the table?

We go to the state legislature and demand that it submit articles of
impeachment directly to the House.  New Mexico is showing the way.  We
should be trying to do the same thing in California.  It will take only
one of the 50 states to do it and impeachment is under way!

One way to force the issue is to persuade Milpitas and other
municipalities to request the California legislature to draft and submit
articles of impeachment.  Our elected officials may claim that it's not
within a city council's proper sphere to be engaged in such activities.
However, other cities have stepped up to fight global warming and the
PATRIOT Act.  Why not the protection of our Constitution, the sworn duty
of every elected official?

And what about each of us?  If you care about global warming, human
rights, fiscal responsibility, honest politics or America's world
standing, you also will call for impeachment.  Contact Milpitas Council
members and urge them to stop the madness in Washington.  For our sakes,
and that of our children and grandchildren we must stand up for our
country.

Rob Means
1421 Yellowstone Avenue
Milpitas, CA  95035-6913