[Sosfbay-discuss] Fear-Mongering and Hype by Jonah Goldberg

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 16:27:19 PST 2007

  Dear Green Friends,    I almost laughed out loud when I read Jonah Goldberg’s commentary about “fear-mongering” and “hype” on global warming (“Cooling Off Costs Too Much,” by Jonah Goldberg, LATimes, February 8, 2007).    Interesting choice of words. This comes exactly two years to the day from Goldberg’s wager with Juan Cole:       “…let's make a bet. I predict that Iraq won't have a civil war, that it will have a viable constitution, and that a majority of Iraqis and Americans will, in two years time, agree that the war was worth it…”    -- Jonah Goldberg, February 8, 2005.       Here are samples of Goldberg’s “hype” of Mr. Bush’s War:    April 23, 2002: “Why Iraq? Every ten years or so, the United States needs to pick up some small crappy little country and throw it against the wall, just to show the world we mean business.”    January 29, 2003: “In the weeks prior to the war to liberate Afghanistan, a good friend of mine would ask me almost every day, "Why aren't we killing people yet?" And I never had a good answer for him. Because one of the most important and vital things the United States could do after 9/11 was to kill people.”   October 20, 2003: “Q: If you're the leader of a peaceful and prosperous nation which serves as the last best hope of humanity and the backbone of international stability and a bunch of fanatics murder thousands of your people on your own soil, what's one of the smartest thing you can do? A: Knock the crap out of Iraq.  Why Iraq? … Why not?"   The distinguished editors of the Los Angeles Times, in their Chicago Tribune corporate Republican majesty, have deemed this “wisdom” that the good people of Los Angeles cannot do without. Voters have fired the worst of Bush’s crew in Congress. Now it’s time to fire Jonah Goldberg.  Send Letters to the L.A. Times at letters at latimes.com.    I have posted “diaries” on this matter on:    www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/02/08/18359492.php    and also on:    www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/2/8/165555/1243      Truly yours,    Alex Walker