[Sosfbay-discuss] Reply to field on emails

Duende egroups at duendevision.com
Thu Feb 15 08:32:22 PST 2007

Cameron

I've been an IT guy since 1976. Let's try some simple logic.

On Feb 14, 2007, at 8:09 PM, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

>> Is is just me, but when ever I reply to a post it get's directed to
>> the original sender.

To which you replied:

> Generating replies is not a function of the mailing list.
> It's a function of your email composing program, in
> this case Apple Mail.

I use 3 email clients on 2 different platforms of 3 different
machines. I am active in about 20 groups and have probably another 20
Is should unsubscribe myself from but the filtered emails make a
great data base "just in case".

Out of all of these groups, the green party discussion list is the
ONLY one that has the stated issue.

I have administered and installed over 300 lists for my previous
employer, RLG. What went into the Reply-To field was definitely an
option though one I left at the default setting which always included
the lists email address. I've also administered a few private lists,
one of which used the same software as this one, Mailman. I don't
recall the setting on Mailman but the Reply-To worked by default the
way ALL the other lists mentioned have.

>> Then I have to insert the discussion groups
>> address.
>
> That is a feature, not a bug.  The question comes up
> pretty often and I addressed it here:
> http://www.greencommons.org/node/433

I read this Cameron.  Quite truthfully I got a head ache trying to
decipher it even with 30 plus years exposure to tech talk.. (maybe
the reason I quit doing computer work in June and formed my own Video
Production Company ) What I can tell you is that you've made a
personal decision to set up the list in the manner it is (See point 3
of your link). A decision based on some rather obscure claims and
probably only sanctified in the world of tehnocrats who still despise
the influx of AOL users (I admit I have my moments still but have
turned in my techno judge armband during  recent  spiritual
epiphany :-)).

This list is setup in a manner that by your own words comes up often
as a problem to different members of the community. I waited 6 years
to request this. Now I'm waiting two days. Please change the setting
on MailMan to reflect the wishes of those it has apparently been an
issue with......and me. I'll give you a dollar :-)

Paz

Duende