[Sosfbay-discuss] It's Time for IRV in Santa Clara

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Sat Feb 17 14:48:42 PST 2007

For any Greens interested in helping implement IRV here in Santa
Clara, Californians for Electoral Reform will be holding a strategy
meeting on this topic. We're looking for people who want to work on
this project.

CfER is a non-partisan organization with members from all parties.

Announcement below.

Jim

           Californians for Electoral Reform
               Strategy Meeting Feb. 28

You are invited to an IRV implementation strategy meeting with CfER
on Wednesday Feb. 28 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Santa Clara Central Park Library
2635 Homestead Rd. (between San Thomas & Keily)
Sycamore room (1st floor; back, right corner)

As you may remember, Santa Clara County voters adopted Measure F in
1998 which allows the use of Instant Runoff Voting in county
elections when voting equipment is in place that can accommodate
ranked ballots.

That voting equipment has been in place for two election cycles now,
but IRV implementation has been held up awaiting the Secretary of
State to write the protocols for conducting an IRV election. While
the newly elected Secretary, Debra Bowen, is generally favorable to
IRV, getting the protocols written is still likely to be a ways off.

CfER believes we should lobby the County Board of Supervisors to
establish a task force to write local protocols for implementing IRV
here in the county. San Francisco has held three elections with IRV.
Oakland and Berkeley have adopted measures to implement IRV. There's
no reason why we should not be able to implement IRV here in Santa
Clara.

This will be the topic of the strategy meeting. Please come and help
put together a plan to bring IRV to Santa Clara County elections.

RSVP to Jim Stauffer
jimstauffer at sbcglobal.net
408-432-9148